Read what people think about Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde, and write your own review.

by Catherine Ryan Hyde

• Readers' rating:

• Published in USA  Apr 2013

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Walk Me Home

Marta M. (Santa Ana, CA) (05/11/13)

Walk Me Home
Carly and Jen are very smart teenage girls. They are independent and extremely street smart and at the same time they are vulnerable and loving. To even have a plan like theirs is remarkable. I thought that the book was interesting and the ending was very good, though I kind of guessed what had happened to Jen. I recommend this book to all readers of Catherine Ryan Hyde.
Power Reviewer Barbara O. (Maryland Heights, MO) (05/08/13)

Great read for book clubs. Two sisters each coping and surviving true to their individual personalities. Survivors. Beautifully written, their story told in glimpses, just enough facts revealed to keep the reader curious to know what happened. Loved it.
Linda J. (Manchester, MO) (05/07/13)

Walk Me Home
"Hard to put down" is an over-used term, I believe, but in the case of "Walk Me Home," I would have to use just those words. Author Catherine Ryan Hyde wrote "Pay It Forward" so it should come as no surprise that her newest book would deliver. 16-year old Carly and her 11-year old sister leave their home in the dark of night under circumstances not fully divulged until halfway through the book. They are walking from New Mexico to California to find their Mom's ex-boyfriend, Teddy, who Carly believes will take them in. In Arizona, they are caught trying to steal chickens from an old Native American woman, and the story really takes an interesting turn.
A typical stubborn teenager, Carly can easily exasperate readers until they realize her motives, however misplaced. Jen is content to follow Carly to a point, and when that point is reached, Hyde leads readers down a path that makes one wonder how this can have a good outcome. This book is well worth the time spent.
Jean G. (Rockford, IL) (04/28/13)

Where is "home"?
A surprisingly good novel considering its simply written, unadorned prose and brevity of descriptions. I found it to be more character driven, telling the story of two sisters, a teenager and a soon to be teenager. In its simplicity it is a fast read, but its many short sentences are thought provoking and meaningful. I found it held my interest and at times I could not put it down. Part One I felt was not very feasible, maybe it was more symbolic, but it will win the reader over as you start to care for the two sisters whose lives have been uprooted, through no fault of their own, leaving them to fend for themselves. A novel about tough choices, choices influenced by family history, past and present. As everyone goes about the business of daily living, you are drawn into their lives. enjoying the people they meet along the way. Book clubs should love to dissect the topics of family situations, decision making, and maturity. They may want to answer the questions "Is there a mythical or magical hand guiding us in the right direction?" and "Is there more than one meaning for "home?".
Deb Y. (Blanco, TX) (04/26/13)

This book SHOULD be read!
Catherine Ryan Hyde writes no bad books. This should be the only thing you need to know about it....................anything else would be spoiler!
Susan B. (Rutledge, MO) (04/25/13)

occasionally interesting; not great
This was a somewhat interesting, but not great, read. I didn't care for the main character, finding her choices baffling and the basic premise (an 11 year old and a 16 year old walking hundreds of miles through the desert Southwest) unbelievable. The ending felt contrived, predictable, and too moralistic for my taste. There were some interesting scenes from the journey and their time on a Native American reservation, but overall there isn't much for me to recommend.
Kathleen S. (New Smyrna Beach, FL) (04/23/13)

Walk Me Home Review
From the author of "Pay It Forward" comes a good read for a week at the beach. It is the story of two sisters whose Mother dies suddenly. The girls are trying to avoid foster care if they can locate an former friend of their Mom's. The trip the girls make is almost entirely on foot from Arizona to northern California. It seems sometimes too unbelievable to digest. The girls develop as independents though, and it is a good read.
Molinda C. (Suffolk, VA) (04/23/13)

A good read
Walk Me Home is a story about 2 sisters who are making their way to what they wish/hope will be a new home. Throughout their long walk they learn what home and love really are. Though this is a young adult novel, I was gratified to see that the children/young adult are not smarter than the grown ups. Though this book is somewhat predictable, it is a heart warming read that ends exactly how it should.

• Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro
  • Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.