Read what people think about Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde, and write your own review.

by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde X
Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde
  • Readers' rating:

• Published in USA  Apr 2013

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Walk Me Home

Patricia S. (Yankton, SD) (04/03/13)

Poignant and Suspenseful
In her novel Walk Me Home Catherine Ryan Hyde has given us a poignant portrayal of two young girls, all alone in the world, walking from New Mexico to California in search of a home. The characters are skillfully drawn, the plot is suspenseful with flashbacks utilized to reveal the back story, and the descriptions of people and places are beautifully developed. When I received this book I thought it would take me about five days to read. Instead I read it in a day and a half and found it almost impossible to put down. It is a great novel for both adults and young adults. I already miss stubborn, opinionated Carly, and gentle wise little Jen.
Jan M. (Broken Arrow, OK) (04/02/13)

Wow, a number 5!
This was a terrific book, it caught me in the first pages and held tight until the last. It was so well done, that I "felt her pain" as Carly made her way across the country in search of someone to love and take care of them. I could have strangled her mother, and from the beginning, I was afraid Teddy would disappoint her. The author's character descriptions were subtle, yet really made me feel I knew them. I'll be recommending this book to my book club.
Anna R. (Oak Ridge, TN) (04/02/13)

Great book!
This book got me with the first page. The thought of two girls ages 16 & 11 walking across several states to find someone the older girl thinks will "save" is so scary. But what were these girls to do? Life has not be kind to them. The people they meet, some good, some bad, caused me to read this book in two afternoons. The writing is wonderful and the story is wonderful. I will be sure to recommend this book to my book group. It is a must read!!! It shows there are still some good people out there.
JMarie S./Tn. (04/01/13)

Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde
The characters come alive and draw the reader into the action of the story.The plot is filled with a depth of understanding of the realities and tragedies that occur as a result of dysfunctional families. Sorrow , and injustice is replaced by the kindness of the characters that interact with the two teenagers along the way to finding home. As fiction, it offers book clubs a great opportunity to explore personalities, choices made by the characters, and decisions that are made based upon what you want to believe versus facts.
It also provides for a good discussion of bias and prejudice. The finality of the choices made leaves one a little sad , but also leaves the reader with hope for the future in spite of the past.
Madeline M. (FL) (04/01/13)

Walk Me Home
I definitely enjoyed aspects of this novel - the secondary characters, like Delores, Alvin, Lois, and Malcolm were wonderful as were a number of scenes which almost broke my heart.

I struggled with the writing itself, which felt choppy to me, and I didn't connect with the two main characters the way I wanted to.
Doris K. (04/01/13)

Walk Me Home
This is a story about a dysfunctional family. Although Carly and Jan are raised in the same way their reactions to life are very different.

Although it's hard to believe that two young girls could be determined enough to walk such a great distance, they were highly motivated to accomplish their journey. It's interesting to read how each of them reacted to the same circumstances. The author shows great insight as develops the characters of each girl.Those of us who are parents know how different siblings can be.

The story is beautifully written. The people, geographical areas etc. come to life as you read.

I found myself very involved with this book and wanted to keep reading, a good indication of a powerful story.
Lisa G. (Riverwoods, IL) (03/30/13)

Walk Me Home
I loved this book and think it would make a wonderful book club discussion. It takes the concept of family one step further and addresses ingenuity, resourcefulness, self worth and most importantly trust. All gifts do not have to have strings attached and sometimes "thank you' is all that is needed. Learning this does not always come easy as in the case of the main character Carly.
Donna W. (Wauwatosa, WI) (03/27/13)

Walk Me Home
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is well written, the characters are believable, and I felt connected to them right from the very beginning.

Two sisters, sixteen and eleven, are left on their own after the death of their mother. They begin trying to get back to their mother's last boyfriend, the only family they have known, and make their way to a Native American reservation before they are forced to stop. There the 16 year old is forced to make some painful decisions.

It is a heartbreaking and touching story, and the pace of the writing makes it an easy read. It is a feel good story.

Wolf Season
    by Helen Benedict
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci

The Days When Birds Come Back
    by Deborah Reed

Win Mothers of Sparta

Mothers of Sparta: A Memoir

Sorry, we do not currently have an active wordplay!