Reading Guide Questions
Please be aware that this discussion guide may contain spoilers!
- Why do you think the author chose to use a third person point of view over a first person point of view? What difference does it make to the story?
- How did the rotating perspectives affect your reading of The Dart League King?
- Does the reader's opinion of the characters change considerably from start to finish? Who becomes more sympathetic? Who becomes less sympathetic? Why?
- Is the "Epilogue" really an epilogue? Why is it set in the present tense while the rest of the novel is in the past tense? Wouldn't it typically be the opposite?
- How does the town itself play a role in what happens?
- What has been the characters' experience growing up in the town? Does the town have a positive or negative influence on the characters?
- To what degree do the characters seem to control their destinies? What importance do their individual decisions have? To what degree are they influenced by the other characters? How important are external/random factors?
- How are the central conflicts of the novel enacted? How much of the conflict would an uninformed observer at the 321 Club notice?
Unless otherwise stated, this discussion guide is reprinted with the permission of Tin House Books.
Any page references refer to a USA edition of the book, usually the trade paperback version, and may vary in other editions.