Reading Guide Questions
Please be aware that this discussion guide may contain spoilers!
- Do you think the young Rose should have stayed with Hal or did she make the right decision to marry Nathan?How would you describe Minty's relationship with Rose? Were there definite indicators something was amiss that Rose might have noticed sooner?
- Do you think that Rose was complacent in her marriage and career? What have you learned from her journey toward self-exploration?
- What do you think of Minty? Did she really want Rose's life all along and just pretended to be independent or do you think something changed her?
- Rose sought friendship and solace with friends to help her through the depression. Are there other ways she might have helped herself? What would you have done?
- The novel was written from a wife's point of view. At any time in the novel, did you find yourself sympathizing more with Nathan than with Rose?<
- Which character, if any, in the novel disappointed you most and why? Which character surprised you most and why?
- How do you think Rose's life choices have influenced her daughter Poppy's life? Do you think Poppy's marriage will last?
- The novel ends on an ambiguous note. What do you think happens next?
Penguin Books, Marketing Department CC, Readers' Guides, 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014-3657
Reproduced with the permission of the publisher. Reading Guides may not be reproduced, duplicated or distributed without written permission from Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copying these materials for anything other than your personal use is a violation of United States copyright laws.
Unless otherwise stated, this discussion guide is reprinted with the permission of Penguin.
Any page references refer to a USA edition of the book, usually the trade paperback version, and may vary in other editions.