Reader reviews and comments on Sea Glass, plus links to write your own review.

Sea Glass

by Anita Shreve

Sea Glass by Anita Shreve X
Sea Glass by Anita Shreve

Apr 2002, 384 pages
    Nov 2002, 400 pages

There are currently 11 reader reviews for Sea Glass

Laura

A wonderfully told story of relationships between husband and wife, between friends, and among family. The novel gives a well-balanced human insight into life during the depression.
shelly

I thought it was completely wonderful. It was moving and profound in parts, and yet the simplist statement of life. She has a way of stating the little things that you don't notice from day to day. I would recommend this to anyone.
Hilary

An excellent read - particularly if on holiday at the beach. The characters are beautifully drawn and you have interesting historical details entwined with a yearning love story and an adolescent boy flourishing under the care of a mixed bag of friends. Because you care about the characters and the interplay between them, the book pulls you on and I read it in a day, leaving me thirsty for more! Perhaps in an effort to extend the life of the story, I began to hunt for sea glass myself, and although I never found a red piece like Honora did, I am now hooked.
poohbear

Anita Shreve has once again written a multi-layered book. While focusing on the marraige between Honora and Sexton, we get a glimpse into the new england textile mills, the last days before th e stock market crash and a look at early union organizing. One gets a sense of the times and the way people lived. The hopes, dreams, and failures that come with living.

I had trouble putting this book down - and I hope that a continuation is in the works.
Loren

I am truly amazed at the dramatic and highly romantic work that Anita Shreve has presented in Fortune's Rocks. The book is incredible!!! I hated to put it down. I am a busy college student, so between class, work and homework, I MADE time to read the book because it nagged at my curiousity. All in all, this book is an A+!!!
Terry

One of her best though I still love Fortune's Rock (set in the same house). Her writing makes me anxious to get to the final chapter but sad once I get there because then the waiting starts for her next book.
Marie Novak

A truly sensational read!!! An avid reader of Shreve's works, I cannot wait for her next!!! So while I wait I read The Beach House.
I read The Pilot's Wife first, a truly remarkable read! Her literary works are engrossing and compelling. You can't put the books down! Sea Glass was all so enjoyable to read and informative as well. The characters come alive, the sensations do also. I highly recommend this book! Where's the next one?
liezle

A Shreve Fan
This is the third book of Anita's that I've read and she does not disappoint! Immediately, my favorite character was McDermott. I so clearly imagine that guy who plays the doctor from Beyond Borders, Clive Owen playing McDermott. The deaf thing really did not turn me off at all. it just added to the charm of the book. Another thing that probably hits home to me is the kind of marriage that Sexton and Honora had. That is exactly my parent's marriage! And I think most marriages are like that. Too practical to think about love. Shreve's subtlety in describing emotional scenes conveys more than the obvious soap-operatic, melodramatic moments some authors tend to use.

• Book Jacket: A Ladder to the Sky
    A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne
    Of our 44 First Impression readers, 32 gave A Ladder to the Sky a four- or five-star review for an ...
  • Book Jacket: In Extremis
    And The Ocean Was Our Sky
    by Patrick Ness

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance