What readers think of Jackdaws, plus links to write your own review.

Jackdaws

Dec 2006, 416 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Jackdaws

Chase

Excellent read
This was my first read from this author and I was really impressed. I couldn't put the book down once I got a feel for Ken's writing style. The characters are believable, and the twist and turns in this book are edge of your seat thrilling. I didn't think I would enjoy a book about the Resistance so much, but I was honestly disappointed when I finished the book because the story was over. Great book, one of the best I have ever read.
Manz

Loved it thoroughly
Justin

As a fan of World War Two based literature, I find Mr. Follett's book, Jackdaws, to be an excellent piece of writing that adequately represents France and its Nazi occupation in the 1940s. I am extremely impressed with this book and it has quickly become a favorite of mine. The characters are ones that are easy to relate to, and are ones that will cause you to laugh in select areas or shed a tear. I have felt many emotions reading this book, which include anger, amazement and pride. After reading the book several times I find more and more that I did not originally notice. This book is inspiring and gives its reader the feeling that they too were in occupied France before D-Day. It is an awesome book full of action, excitement, romance and both English and french culture. It is a peephole into the past and into our very own history.
I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys WWII themed literature, however it has many sexual and violent scenes which are not appropriate for some readers. I encourage you to try this book, but try it with disgression. It is well worth your time.
Furthermore, this book would make a great movie- hint, hint! I hope to see it someday on the big screen.
Dave

The author generally has very good character development in his novels. To me, the characters in this book were so real that I could actually visualize them as I read. I thought the story was a little bit of a stretch but the characters made the book one of my favorites.
patty

I am listening to this book on tape and have a difficult time pulling myself away from the car! This is an excellent book and it has some very complex and disturbing moments. I can't wait to get in the car to go to work tomorrow!
Monique

I have read tons of American Literature and have been thrown books left and right to read but none capture the true essence of a good read like Jack Daws.
jessie

its a great ook and i think that every one should read it...
Steve M. Shepard

Jackdaws is my first forray into the world of Ken Follett. I was drawn by my deceased father's involvement in the liberation of France and was not disappointed with Mr. Follett's historical research. While happy to see that the screen rights have been purchased, I found it often difficult not to compare many facets of "Jackdaws", with E.M. Nathanson's "Dirty Dozen" which was made into an all-star vehicle in 1967. Mr. Follett is by no means bordering on plagiarism, I simply found that the group of 1/2 dozen "sociatal misfits" codenamed "Jackdaws" and led by Major Felicity "Flick" Claret, a young petite and handsome, albeit seasoned British Agent, had some interesting similarities to those "misfits" led by Major John Reisman (Lee Marvin), quite interesting. Mr. Follett's riveting novel is indeed deserving of it's "pageturner" label and I look forward to the Hollywood cast who may be chosen, should "Jackdaws" become a major American motion picture. Seattle, U.S.A. - 24 Feb 2003

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

• Book Jacket: The Poet's House
    The Poet's House
    by Jean Thompson
    Seasoned author Jean Thompson's previous novels include A Cloud in the Shape of a Girl, The Humanity...
    Some of It Was Real
    by Nan Fischer
    Nan Fischer is an Oregon Book Award finalist for her previous novels When Elephants Fly and The ...
  • Book Jacket: The Most Precious Substance on Earth
    The Most Precious Substance on Earth
    by Shashi Bhat
    Think of all the worst parts of puberty — all the moments you partially miss or brood about ...
    Lightning Strike
    by William Kent Krueger
    It is the summer of 1963 in Tamarack County, Minnesota. Just outside the small town of Aurora, ...

All the Lonely People
by Mike Gayle
A cozy novel for fans of A Man Called Ove. A widowed retiree will rediscover the world he’s turned his back on.

Members Recommend

Widowland
    by C. J. Carey

A thrilling feminist dystopian novel set in an alternate 1950s Britain under the control of the Third Reich.

Dirt Creek
    by Hayley Scrivenor

"A heart-wrenching mystery, Scrivenor's remarkable sense of place brings Dirt Creek to life. A stellar debut."
    —Jane Harper,

I always find it more difficult to say the things I mean than the things I don't.

I Wishes W H B W R