Reader reviews and comments on Half A Life, plus links to write your own review.

Half A Life

by V.S. Naipaul

Half A Life by V.S. Naipaul X
Half A Life by V.S. Naipaul

Oct 2001, 224 pages
    Oct 2002, 224 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Half A Life

Muhammad.Quddus

In the beginning, the novel is terrifying. The Indian setting and the stories of sacrifices. The stories beg the reader to connect with the history of not just of Indian but of Hinduism. The journey to England and to Africa evoke more sense of horror than humor. Naipaul reminds me that the world is a very disturbing place. My perspective changed. I am in debt to him for this.
Vivien Lee Jensen

After reading this book,which I thoroughly enjoyed, I re-read "A house for Mr. Biswas", prescribed reading for my A-levels in 1969. Naipaul's characters still have the power to make me laugh and cry, as they struggle to make themselves heard and felt.
sharon vawda

Literate persons who do not read half a life, will die having had half a life, pardon the pun. When I need to be revitalised, I read A house for Mr. Biswas, now I can be totally revitalised for the next few years having read half a life, its brilliant!

Join BookBrowse

The Prophet
    by Michael Koryta
    Hot diggity! How can you lose by reading a gritty whodunit about football, even if you're not a ...
  • Book Jacket: Dog Flowers
    Dog Flowers
    by Danielle Geller
    In Dog Flowers, Danielle Geller tells us what is wrong with her family: heavy drinking, abandonment,...
  • Book Jacket: The Sea Gate
    The Sea Gate
    by Jane Johnson
    In Jane Johnson's novel, The Sea Gate, set in England, readers are introduced to Becky, a young ...
  • Book Jacket: Stories from Suffragette City
    Stories from Suffragette City
    by M.J. Rose, Fiona Davis
    Our First Impressions readers were fascinated by the historical fiction from a range of authors ...

At the Edge of the Haight
    by Katherine Seligman

Winner of the 2019 PEN/Bellwether Prize for Socially Engaged Fiction.

The Narrowboat Summer
    by Anne Youngson

From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.

The Moment of Lift
by Melinda Gates
How can we summon a moment of lift for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity.

I am what the librarians have made me with a little assistance from a professor of Greek and a few poets

T M T C, T M T Stay T S