Reader reviews and comments on The Noonday Demon, plus links to write your own review.

The Noonday Demon

Jun 2001, 576 pages
    Apr 2002, 576 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Noonday Demon

Raymond Noas

Kudos ... to Andrew Solomon! It takes courage and then, wisdom to capture in the written form ... the different masks of depression. I found The Noonday Demon to be comprised of valuable insights and filled with tangible proof ... that a father's unselfish love for his son ... can be demonstrated when his son will need it most!!

I believe I've been educated and elevated by the writer's enlightning and thought provocative narration style. This is precisely the kind of book ... that makes me wish that my Kindergarten and First Grade Teachers were alive. I would not hesitate to pick up the
phone to call (or) a pen to write and say ... THANK YOU FOR TEACHING ME HOW TO READ!!! The priceless and delevelopmental GIFT of reading is UNEQUALED!!!!
royal j. cumings

The Noonday Demon has helped me to corner some of my 'demons' and has helped me to better explain myself to psychiatrists, a problem I have had for years. The book is never pouty and never preachy. The Noonday Demon is so articulate on so many complex issues that I had to read it with a pen to mark it's many bits of wisdom for future use not only for myself, but for my loved ones understanding as well. For someone as depressed as myself to be able to read a 500 page book in a weeks time...well, that pretty much speaks for itself. This book has the power to save lives.
Melissa Padgett

I've suffered with depression most of my 49 years, and read many books on the subject. All pale in comparison to Andrew Solomon's The Noonday Demon. His deeply personal experiences with depression qualify him to speak empathetically, while his exhaustive and brilliant research opens door after door of hope, possibility, and insight into this insidious killer. Every word rings true. Even the title, with its admixture of everydayness and horror speaks directly to the heart of how pervasive and deadly depression is. This book is a must-read for anyone suffering from depression or who knows someone who suffers...just having this book in my home brings comfort.

Even if you don't have the time or inclination to buy and read all 500+ pages of The Noonday Demon : An Atlas of Depression - I strongly recommend you take the time to read the first chapter at BookBrowse.com (click on the 'Excerpt' link just above). I think you'll find it to be interesting, educational and even inspiring. Highly recommended for anybody who has ever suffered from depression and anybody who knows somebody who has - and that pretty much emcompasses the whole population!
---- Davina, BookBrowse.com

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing
    by Hank Green

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

Paris Echo
    by Sebastian Faulks

A story of resistance, complicity, and an unlikely, transformative friendship.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance