What readers think of Taliban, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Mar 2001, 288 pages

Mar 2001, 288 pages

There is 1 reader review for Taliban

Micah Aki

This book is a indepth look into the cultural mechanisms of the Taliban and the social backdrop of Afghanistan prior and during the Taliban regime. Reading this book prior to September 11, 2001 brought a haunting and prophetic reality to the issues that Ahmad Rashid describes in this book. Rashid descriptively denotes the paramount dangers of terrorist universities in Afghanistan, and also mentions the Taliban resisitence, which formed the major coalition in today's new Afghan government. One problem Rashid quotes another scholar on Afghanistan is that Afghanistan's tulmultous plight is largely ignored by the rest of the world. With Rashid's extensive and thorough descriptions and conclusions, I believe that if more U.S. government officials read this book prior to 2001 perhaps more measures might have been taken to prevent the tragic events of 9-11. This book should definitely be part of required reading for all studying modern Afghanistan.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Joy Is the Justice We Give Ourselves
    Joy Is the Justice We Give Ourselves
    by J Drew Lanham
    As a recipient of the MacArthur "Genius" Grant, and a Professor of Wildlife Ecology and Master ...
  • Book Jacket: Glorious Exploits
    Glorious Exploits
    by Ferdia Lennon
    Lampo and Gelon are two unemployed potters in their thirties whose lives are spent between their ...
  • Book Jacket: Song of the Six Realms
    Song of the Six Realms
    by Judy I. Lin
    Xue'er has no place in the kingdom of Qi or any of the Six Realms. Her name means "Solitary Snow" ...
  • Book Jacket: The Demon of Unrest
    The Demon of Unrest
    by Erik Larson
    In the aftermath of the 1860 presidential election, the divided United States began to collapse as ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The Familiar
by Leigh Bardugo
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author Leigh Bardugo comes a spellbinding novel set in the Spanish Golden Age.

Members Recommend

This Strange Eventful History
    by Claire Messud

An immersive, masterful story of a family born on the wrong side of history.

Daughters of Shandong
    by Eve J. Chung

Eve J. Chung's debut novel recounts a family's flight to Taiwan during China's Communist revolution.

Win This Book
Win Only the Brave

Only the Brave by Danielle Steel

A powerful, sweeping historical novel about a courageous woman in World War II Germany.

F T a T