What readers think of Taliban, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Mar 2001, 288 pages

Mar 2001, 288 pages

There is 1 reader review for Taliban

Micah Aki

This book is a indepth look into the cultural mechanisms of the Taliban and the social backdrop of Afghanistan prior and during the Taliban regime. Reading this book prior to September 11, 2001 brought a haunting and prophetic reality to the issues that Ahmad Rashid describes in this book. Rashid descriptively denotes the paramount dangers of terrorist universities in Afghanistan, and also mentions the Taliban resisitence, which formed the major coalition in today's new Afghan government. One problem Rashid quotes another scholar on Afghanistan is that Afghanistan's tulmultous plight is largely ignored by the rest of the world. With Rashid's extensive and thorough descriptions and conclusions, I believe that if more U.S. government officials read this book prior to 2001 perhaps more measures might have been taken to prevent the tragic events of 9-11. This book should definitely be part of required reading for all studying modern Afghanistan.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Last Murder at the End of the World
    The Last Murder at the End of the World
    by Stuart Turton
    The island is the only safe place left on Earth. Since a deadly fog overtook the planet, the ...
    A Kind of Madness
    by Uche Okonkwo
    The word "madness," like many others that can be used to stigmatize mental illness — e.g., "...
  • Book Jacket: Long After We Are Gone
    Long After We Are Gone
    by Terah Shelton Harris
    Terah Shelton Harris's marvelous family drama Long After We Are Gone begins with the death of the ...
  • Book Jacket: Exhibit
    Exhibit
    by R O. Kwon
    Exhibit, R.O. Kwon's sophomore novel (after The Incendiaries, 2018), introduces readers to Jin Han, ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Look on the Bright Side
by Kristan Higgins
From the author of Pack Up the Moon comes a funny, romantic, and moving novel about life's unexpected rewards.
The Pecan Children
by Quinn Connor
Win This Book
Win Bright and Tender Dark

Bright and Tender Dark by Joanna Pearson

A beautifully written, wire-taut debut novel about a murder on a college campus and its aftermath twenty years later.

A W in S C