Reader reviews and comments on Papal Sin, plus links to write your own review.

Papal Sin

Jun 2000, 304 pages
    Sep 2001, 256 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Papal Sin

Frank L. Cocozzelli

As a Catholic, it is good to know that other Catholics have similiar beliefs. I would love to see Mr. Wills next take on the cult Opus Dei.

I've read Papal Sin and find it a courageous work - one based on truth. It is time truth be spoken as loudly and widely as possible. It is not blaphemous or heretical. It is threatening to those theologians/priests who have tried to usurp the power of God in His name but for there own purposes.

For those interested in further deceit promoted by certain Catholics, please research Opus Dei.

I saw Garry Wills on a talk show discussing Papal Sin when it first came out, and was very intrigued and decided to buy it. It is one of the best books I have ever read. It is honest, extremely well researched, and there is no hidden agenda on Mr. Wills part. It certainly is time that everyone is held accountable(including the church hierarchy) if the true desire is to follow the teachings of Jesus. I would recommend this book very highly.

Truly a book before it's time considering the crisis in the Catholic church going on right now with sexual abuse and pedophilia. The book exposes the details of the Catholic doctine that most practicing Catholics have no knowledge of.
April 25, 2002
Joseph Bligh

I was born into a catholic family, attended catholic schools, married in a church etc. etc. I now realise how
little I knew of my releigion.I have now been ,for some years, a skeptic, but I am very happy to have had
the chance to read this book.
Dr.A. MonguiĆ³

This is an excellent book, written with conviction and elegance. In the 16 Century Erasmus, the great
humanist, wrote also with conviction and elegance, and like Mr. Wills with a profoundly Catholic spirit,
not afraid to criticize his Church, not out of spite, but because of love. I suspect that he will be as
unwelcomed by the Vatican as Erasmus eventually was. All his works were put in the Index of
forbiden books. If Mr. Wills will not suffer such ignominy is simply because there is no longer
an Index. If the Vatican would have heard Erasmus' call for reform the Reformation would have been
unnecessary. The Vatican that has just canonized Pius IX will not want to hear Wills. At least
Professor Wills is not in danger of being condemned in a secret trial by the contemporary Inquisition,
headed by Cardinal Ratzinger; were he a Catholic theologian, his fate would not have been different
from Father Hans Kung's.
His many merits aside, there are a few things that perhaps should be corrected. Mr. Wills sometimes
affirms something with no further discussion, and then proceeds to build on the assertion. This is
a well known rhetorical trick, but Mr. Wills is too good a scholar no to be aware that it is but a trick.
The more glaring case is his assertions on the Eucharist. On so crucial a matter more substance is
needed. Perhaps we might see his rectification in the next edition of this excellent book.

• Book Jacket: Speak No Evil