Reader reviews and comments on Bobos In Paradise, plus links to write your own review.

Bobos In Paradise

Mar 2001, 288 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for Bobos In Paradise

Christine (01/23/11)

Favorable
Recently pulled up a sample of this book on my Kindle and barely into it knew I had to read the whole thing. What a refreshing and delicious sociological analysis. Who knew we Americans were such an hysterically funny people. Bears remembering when taking ourselves too seriously. In addition to humor rivaling any good stand-up comedian's, there is much food for serious reflection. I have ordered copies for various friends and family who I know will similarly enjoy this wonderful book.
laura (09/05/10)

Bobos not as cool as yesteryear
Using wit rather than analysis, Brooks compliments his readers on their quirky tastes while ignoring the vast number of Americans, and others, who do not fit his consumer taste class, either because they do not in fact share the values he describes or because they simply don't have the money. and now, a decade later, the description of the laid-back, tolerant wisdom of this "BoBo" class in ascendancy shows up as ephemeral, since we have spent a decade in which the ostentatious rich have led us into crushingly expensive wars, destroyed the financial markets, restored nepotism, and figured out how to feed the working class and rural dwellers a dangerous breed of hater-malarkey in order to grab and keep political control.
Jessica Mende (07/30/05)

Hells Ya
David david David. Brooks Brooks Brooks.

I am in love with this man. Anyone who can write sociology like this and with such sharp wit? A+ Why can't other sociologists write like this? Serious, if all of us were like this more people would 'get it.'

This book is accurate to a 'T' and needs to be read by all. And thought about by all too.

yerba mate, anyone?
Javier Gonzalez (11/03/03)

I enjoy this book very much! I am agree with everything that David Brooks wrote in this book.
Bill (10/22/03)

It is amazing how a book can be written so accurately and in such an entertaining fashion on such a complex social, political, and economic phenomenon, and then leave us with no remedy...Mr. Brooks! How do we stop this 'Bobo' movement, they've gotta go!
Bobo (06/12/02)

I can't believe this has happened. I never knew there was any other Bobo, than me. I have been Bobo since I was fifteen, just out of my rat tail comb, french toes, cuban heels, and vaseline, VO5 and Brylcreem's 'Little Dab'll Do You' days, not to forget Aqua Velva, man, what a life! The book is on the edge of all life stands for, doing your thing, your way, with respect. Bravo!
jean simmons (02/27/02)

i thought bobos explained the differences between this new social class and the other traditional classes

it was very interesting

i enjoyed it!!!!!

chaching

Anonymous (07/15/01)

Judith King
I rushed out to buy the book. Bobos stands for Bourgois Bohemians, and the subtitle is The New Upper Class and How They Got There. A major reference for Brooks is the New York Times Sunday Wedding Announcements. (!) He tracks the ruling class over the past 50 years, from the ending of aristocracy and the Eisenhower/Beaver families, through beatniks, hippies, plutocracy, and finally to the emergence, he says, of a meritocracy. (My belief is that was what the founding fathers were aiming for in the long run.) Humorous, trenchant, and a solid read. Go for it.

• Book Jacket: Shadow Man
    Shadow Man
    by Alan Drew
    The Noise of Time
    by Julian Barnes
    Smoke
    by Dan Vyleta

Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you'd rather have been talking

The Almost Sisters

A powerful, emotionally resonant novel of the South.

T H Are B T O