Reader reviews and comments on Horse Heaven, plus links to write your own review.

Horse Heaven

by Jane Smiley

Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley X
Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley

Apr 2000, 456 pages
    Feb 2001, 576 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Horse Heaven

ANNMARIE CROSS

What a hoot of a book! Yes, it is fiction and misses a few points of reality at a race track, but nothing that matters at all for what it is supposed to be. Want second by second reality at a race track? read Race for the Triple Crown by Joe Drape. Want a GREAT book about the characters and esp the character of horses involved in horse racing? then Horse Heaven is definitely a great choice.

I do have to say it needs a 'quicky reference guide' on the front or rear inside cover to keep the characters straight......

At a time when Americans need to feel good about our horses even when we are being awoken to realize that we slaughter more than 40,000 of them every year and decide in our own Federal government if we wil allow this to continue, Horse Heaven has a lot to offer.
arlene walsh

Fascinating look at the world of thoroughbreds. Had no idea there was so much involved in breeding, raising and racing them, not to mention the buying and selling that goes on. Sometimes a sad account of where the ones who no longer have value end up. Loved the horse personalities conveyed and thought Eileen the Jack Russell was a major novel highlight! One-half of the human characters, however, looked greedy, cold, and self-centered. Brought to mind Bob Baffert.
Jane Smiley is an excellent writer. My only criticism is that the book is very long (although I was never bored) and has far too many characters. Got a little confusing trying to keep them straight.
Definitely a book worth pursuing, although its volume may discourage some readers.

• Book Jacket: Southernmost
    Southernmost
    by Silas House
    Southernmost opens with a devastating flood in Cumberland Valley, Tennessee. Could it be divine ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of the Fox
    Confessions of the Fox
    by Jordy Rosenberg
    In Confessions of the Fox, a fictional academic, Dr. Voth, finds a manuscript in the library where ...
  • Book Jacket: Tango Lessons
    Tango Lessons
    by Meghan Flaherty
    Meghan Flaherty's touching memoir, Tango Lessons, reveals some hard but important truths about ...
    The Almost Sisters
    Joshilyn Jackson's The Almost Sisters is a powerful look at the intersection of privilege, family, ...

The Radium Girls by Kate Moore

The incredible true story of the women who fought America's Undark danger.

Meet Me at the Museum
    by Anne Youngson

A celebration of letters, kindred spirits and writing a new story for yourself.

So Much Life Left Over
    by Louis de Bernieres

An evocative and emotional novel set between the World Wars.

Fly Girls
    by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Win Vox

VOX by Christina Dalcher

The story of what one woman will do to protect herself and her daughter in a society where half the population is silenced.

T B Y Speak