What readers think of Gap Creek, plus links to write your own review.

Gap Creek

Oct 2000, 336 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Gap Creek

Rebecca

Despite Catastrophes
Julie's character is the story, while she is not well-educated, her fine intelligence is given justice in her narrating voice. Morgan has the ability to capture emotions and mental images over and over with Julie's voice.

The story is a snapshot of one year, and while some express incredulity at their many misfortunes, I think they are realistic. These are young and inexperienced people suddenly and unexpectedly in charge of a homestead. In the real world, misfortune can occur in a series and is not neatly spaced, so I find it believable.

The most poignant part is how easily they leave when it is time to go, as if the most precious relics of their stay are the experiences lessons learned and each other.

As Julie says, time was a gift that just kept coming day after day.
andi

nice work
I think the book was a great job, people really lived that way so I loved how Julie explained everything so simply.
katie Gilbert

A pleasing Read
I enjoyed this book alot. I could really relate to the girl in the book..average physique average intelligence average everything! AHH I LOVED IT!!!!:)
Andrea Mathers

Gap Creek is one of the best novels i have ever read! This book is captures your attention from the start and holds it until the very last word. The story is simple and pure..i would highly reccomend it for reading newcomers.
Me

I absolutely loved this book, because it's so full of life, love, excitement, and strength (especially from Julie). I was confused in the beginning, but it all came together. But, at times, I could have cried. Then there were times I didn't want to put the book down! I really wish people would write more books like this, because maybe more people would read. Robert Morgan- you did an awesome job! Keep it up...
Julie

I found this novel to be a breathtakibg Journey through out Julie's life. It shared her deepest thoughts and secrets
Katie

I found this book to be both educating and moving. Anyone who thinks this book was overrated would have to be someone who does not understand the art of a book and what they stand for. It would be nice to see more like this one.
Amy

<< But I was there, even though I didn't want to be, and I seen it all. >>

From the first page, to the very last line, I was captivated. Julie's strength is obvious from the very beginning. Some might say that this book should only be read by the older generation, but whole-heartedly disagree. I'm only 14 years old, and I loved all of the messages in this book. All you have to do is want to see them. With Julie's fascinating use of an uneducated vocabulary, she shows you that inside, underneath the dirt and grime of a prairie life, lies a brilliant woman, who has a grasp of human nature. She has the strength to keep going, the strength to hold her tongue. She knows that while a clever remark may bring instant satisfaction, there are more important things. In this book is the sweetness of life, of beginnings. But there is also the darkness of death of sadness. With this character, Robert Morgan teaches us to take in the bad with the good. Every single character was interesting, and amazingly real. I believe everyone has met someone with Ma Richards' blaming ways, or Mr. Pendergast's stuborn nature. Hank's testiness is fustratingly familiar. In every character, you can see others. But what's most surprising is when you see yourself.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.25 per month.

• Book Jacket: We Had to Remove This Post
    We Had to Remove This Post
    by Hanna Bervoets
    It's not about money. Kayleigh, the protagonist and narrator of We Had to Remove This Post, a newly ...
  • Book Jacket: River of the Gods
    River of the Gods
    by Candice Millard
    The Nile River has provided vital resources for millennia, serving as a source of water, food and ...
  • Book Jacket: Horse
    Horse
    by Geraldine Brooks
    Geraldine Brooks creates a powerful backstory for 19th-century thoroughbred racehorse Lexington, ...
  • Book Jacket: Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance
    Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance
    by Alison Espach
    Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance will make you ache for a loss you didn't experience as you relate...

Carolina Moonset
by Matt Goldman
An engrossing novel about family, memories and secrets too dangerous to stay hidden.

Members Recommend

The Lies I Tell
    by Julie Clark

The new thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Last Flight!

Good Husbands
    by Cate Ray

Three wives, one letter, and an explosive secret that will change everything.
    He said, she said. Who do you believe?

Win This Book!
Win Where the Crawdads Sing

Win a signed copy of Where the Crawdads Sing

In celebration of the movie release on July 15, we have three signed copies to give away.

T O Thing W H T F I F I