What readers think of I Know This Much Is True, plus links to write your own review.

I Know This Much Is True

Apr 1999, 901 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for I Know This Much Is True

anonymous

I Know This Much is True
Rarely does a book take me on a voyage of self discovery, and this book definitely has. I could never really identify emotions and feelings in my own life until I read this book and then many questions about myself were answered. A definite must in any collection of books.
Anonymous

Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True
About two months ago, in a meeting of the Literary Group, I held out my opinion that tellers of stories wrote best when they had lived the life they were writing about. I cited Sinclair Lewis as the prime example. It is a firm belief I have held for long and I examine every new author I read to see if he or she fulfilled that criterion.
Between the hours of two and four-thirty this quiet winter morning in Philadelphia, I have finished the last few pages of "I Know This Much is True" and find myself hoping that for the sake of his sanity, Wally Lamb had not lived the life of either of the Birdsey twins. What a magnificent story and what a lovely style Lamb has told it! It is difficult to accept that it is only the second book he has written.
I wish I could contact Lamb - I so want to ask him if he cried while writing the book as I wept many times while reading the book, particularly that last line of it where he tells me, the compulsive forgiver, where love grows - I, the man who has for long believed he has seen the toughest that God can handout to any of His creations.
How can a man write a family story with such sensitivity in these days when spying and terrorism have taken over the literary world ?
Bernard Colgan

Must Read.
This is one of those books that you come across every now and again and you bore people about how and why they should read it. The book just drags you into Dominicks world and I'm sure you will identify some aspects of it with your everyday life.
Its a great read. I know this much is true.
Julian

Full circle
While at a local Goodwill, looking for a book to read at work, I spotted Wally Lamb's "I Know This Much Is True". I had never heard of Mr Lamb, never seen or read anything he has ever done, yet somehow this book ended up in my hands. It wasn't until I got home and looked at it again that I noticed the endorsement of the Oprah book club. It was also at home that I saw that it was 900 pages long. 900 pages seem daunting for a weekend read, but I thought, "what the heck" Now a day later I feel a sense of thankfulness for having read it. But, now I find myself in a dilemma: who should I share this with first?
Carmen Cancel Seaman

What a Joy!
Finding a book of over 900 pages that will hold your attention through every page is unimaginable. What a joy to have found that in this. His writing is superb and well balanced. His characters come alive and make you actually care about them. The twists and turns were great and completely unexpected. Thank you Mr. Lamb for a wonderful story.
lulie

beautiful book
I first read this book in '98 and was mesmerized by it and never forgot the characters. I passed on my copy to friends and even bought several books to give out as Christmas gifts that year. Recently I found a copy of the book at the Salvation Army and decided to reread it. Wow, 11 years later and I was shocked at how timeless it feels,this book still resonates with me. I didn't think that there were new lessons or insights to be gleaned from it, but here I was all these years later and it was like reading it for the first time. Whenever anyone asks what's my favorite book, this book is the answer I always give. Thank you Wally Lamb for such a beautiful book that reminds us what it truly is to be human and of the redemptive power of forgiveness. Thank you.
Anonymous

'I Know This Much Is True' is absolutely ENTHRALLING!
In one magnificent novel, Wally Lamb manages to beautifully portray the arrogance of men, the violence of egotists, the inevitable betrayal of those deemed trustworthy, the meaning of wholeness and family, the freedom that comes with forgiving, and the love hidden deep inside those who were once our tormentors. Must-read book for anyone searching for life's deeper meanings.
LupeP

I KnowThis Much is True
I just finished reading this book today and it was truly amazing going through the emotional rollercoaster that this book makes you go through. I recommend it 10 times! And thank goodness for Mrs. Patel's therapy and closing session. It really helped me put this book down! Thank you Mr. Lamb.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Last Bloodcarver
    The Last Bloodcarver
    by Vanessa Le
    The city-state of Theumas is a gleaming metropolis of advanced technology and innovation where the ...
  • Book Jacket: Say Hello to My Little Friend
    Say Hello to My Little Friend
    by Jennine CapĂł Crucet
    Twenty-year-old Ismael Reyes is making a living in Miami as an impersonator of the rapper/singer ...
  • Book Jacket: The Painter's Daughters
    The Painter's Daughters
    by Emily Howes
    Peggy and Molly Gainsborough are sisters and best friends, living an idyllic life in 18th-century ...
  • Book Jacket: Beverly Hills Spy
    Beverly Hills Spy
    by Ronald Drabkin
    When it comes to espionage, not only is truth stranger than fiction, sometimes it can be downright ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Only the Beautiful
by Susan Meissner
A heartrending story about a young mother's fight to keep her daughter, and the winds of fortune that tear them apart.

Members Recommend

The Stone Home
    by Crystal Hana Kim

A moving family drama and coming-of-age story revealing a dark corner of South Korean history.

The House on Biscayne Bay
    by Chanel Cleeton

As death stalks a gothic mansion in Miami, the lives of two women intertwine as the past and present collide.

A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say

S B the B