Reader reviews and comments on I Know This Much Is True, plus links to write your own review.

I Know This Much Is True

Apr 1999, 901 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for I Know This Much Is True

anonymous

I Know This Much is True
Rarely does a book take me on a voyage of self discovery, and this book definitely has. I could never really identify emotions and feelings in my own life until I read this book and then many questions about myself were answered. A definite must in any collection of books.
Anonymous

Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True
About two months ago, in a meeting of the Literary Group, I held out my opinion that tellers of stories wrote best when they had lived the life they were writing about. I cited Sinclair Lewis as the prime example. It is a firm belief I have held for long and I examine every new author I read to see if he or she fulfilled that criterion.
Between the hours of two and four-thirty this quiet winter morning in Philadelphia, I have finished the last few pages of "I Know This Much is True" and find myself hoping that for the sake of his sanity, Wally Lamb had not lived the life of either of the Birdsey twins. What a magnificent story and what a lovely style Lamb has told it! It is difficult to accept that it is only the second book he has written.
I wish I could contact Lamb - I so want to ask him if he cried while writing the book as I wept many times while reading the book, particularly that last line of it where he tells me, the compulsive forgiver, where love grows - I, the man who has for long believed he has seen the toughest that God can handout to any of His creations.
How can a man write a family story with such sensitivity in these days when spying and terrorism have taken over the literary world ?
Bernard Colgan

Must Read.
This is one of those books that you come across every now and again and you bore people about how and why they should read it. The book just drags you into Dominicks world and I'm sure you will identify some aspects of it with your everyday life.
Its a great read. I know this much is true.
Julian

Full circle
While at a local Goodwill, looking for a book to read at work, I spotted Wally Lamb's "I Know This Much Is True". I had never heard of Mr Lamb, never seen or read anything he has ever done, yet somehow this book ended up in my hands. It wasn't until I got home and looked at it again that I noticed the endorsement of the Oprah book club. It was also at home that I saw that it was 900 pages long. 900 pages seem daunting for a weekend read, but I thought, "what the heck" Now a day later I feel a sense of thankfulness for having read it. But, now I find myself in a dilemma: who should I share this with first?
Carmen Cancel Seaman

What a Joy!
Finding a book of over 900 pages that will hold your attention through every page is unimaginable. What a joy to have found that in this. His writing is superb and well balanced. His characters come alive and make you actually care about them. The twists and turns were great and completely unexpected. Thank you Mr. Lamb for a wonderful story.
lulie

beautiful book
I first read this book in '98 and was mesmerized by it and never forgot the characters. I passed on my copy to friends and even bought several books to give out as Christmas gifts that year. Recently I found a copy of the book at the Salvation Army and decided to reread it. Wow, 11 years later and I was shocked at how timeless it feels,this book still resonates with me. I didn't think that there were new lessons or insights to be gleaned from it, but here I was all these years later and it was like reading it for the first time. Whenever anyone asks what's my favorite book, this book is the answer I always give. Thank you Wally Lamb for such a beautiful book that reminds us what it truly is to be human and of the redemptive power of forgiveness. Thank you.
Anonymous

'I Know This Much Is True' is absolutely ENTHRALLING!
In one magnificent novel, Wally Lamb manages to beautifully portray the arrogance of men, the violence of egotists, the inevitable betrayal of those deemed trustworthy, the meaning of wholeness and family, the freedom that comes with forgiving, and the love hidden deep inside those who were once our tormentors. Must-read book for anyone searching for life's deeper meanings.
LupeP

I KnowThis Much is True
I just finished reading this book today and it was truly amazing going through the emotional rollercoaster that this book makes you go through. I recommend it 10 times! And thank goodness for Mrs. Patel's therapy and closing session. It really helped me put this book down! Thank you Mr. Lamb.

• Book Jacket: Women Talking
    Women Talking
    by Miriam Toews
    Miriam Toews' Women Talking is a circadian novel, unfolding over a span of just a few hours and ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...
  • Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...
  • Book Jacket: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    by Rajeev Balasubramanyam
    Rajeev Balasubramanyam encapsulates the theme of Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss in its first ...

When We Left Cuba
    by Chanel Cleeton

An exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.

Greek to Me
    by Mary Norris

The Comma Queen returns with a buoyant book about language, love, and the wine-dark sea.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Ecstasy

Win copies to share with friends or your book club!

Ecstasy reveals the true Alma Mahler: composer, author, daughter, mother, wife, lover, and muse.

A B Penny A T U