Reader reviews and comments on The Gates of The Alamo, plus links to write your own review.

The Gates of The Alamo

Mar 2001, 580 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for The Gates of The Alamo

Ronaldo

The Gates of the Alamo
I love when a novel takes me places and I feel as if I am in another world. The Gates of the Alamo did just that. A vast epic novel that is simply engrossing. I loved the character development and at no time during the reading of this novel did I not feel entertained. Very few novels make me feel as I am there. Lonesome Dove, The Killer Angels, and Ride the Wind are three others that come to mind that carry the reader away from modern times and place you in the moment.
Lesley R

I found this book to be a real page-turner. Normally this genre does not attract my attention much, but as a native Texan I felt to need to look a little closer at this one. Now I am extremely glad that I did. I think I have around 3/4 copies of it now.
william

This book was one of the best books i have got in a long time
Guy

I enjoy historical novels and this one is very good. It played out the humanity of the defenders while maintaining their honor.
D. Joseph

Growing up in the part of Texas in which this book is set, I was aware, but not particularly interested in the developments surrounding the siege at the Alamo. This book changed that for me.

Although situations in which the story's protagonists find themselves seem contrived at times, the fullness of the tale and attention to literary detail make this novel a compelling read. Questions about whether the story is pristine in its accuracy, or whether the characters might actually have existed become almost irrelevant.

If I would allow one complaint, it would be that the author seems to have focused excessively on the staging activities and prelude to the assault with very little development of the aftermath. The summary ending seemed to me and an unfair reward for my investment in a novel of nearly 600 pages.

Still, when viewed not so much as history text as the well-written, fact-based book of fiction that it is, The Gates of the Alamo will not disappoint.

I enjoyed this book. It was assigned to my AP English class and I enjoyed reading it. The ending disappointed me and the mass of characters (especially all of the Colonels and Captains of lesser importance) became confusing at times. Overall, a good read.
ofilia trevino

i like this book because it deals with history (especially Texas history). My class is reading this for the summer and it has some parts that are in my area like Copano and Refugio.

Be the first to review this book!.

• Book Jacket: Let It Bang
    by Hank Green
  • Book Jacket: Waiting for Eden
    Waiting for Eden
    by Elliot Ackerman
    Elliot Ackerman's latest novel, Waiting for Eden, follows Marine Eden Malcom as his death ...

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Paris Echo
    by Sebastian Faulks

A story of resistance, complicity, and an unlikely, transformative friendship.

Win Strangers in Budapest

Strangers in Budapest

A couple trying to make a new life in a foreign land find themselves drawn into a cultural and generational vendetta.

I Ain't O U T F L S