Reader reviews and comments on A Mercy, plus links to write your own review.

A Mercy

Aug 2009, 224 pages

Amy Reading

There are currently 4 reader reviews for A Mercy

A Mercy
No one can cut through to the heart of America's dark past like Toni Morrison. The book's perspective floats between the characters creating a full, intricate picture of life when the lines were blurred between indentured servant and slave. People struggle to hold on to their humanity and independence living in the midst of a corrupt society bent on punishing those who stray.

I found this book to be wandering and vague. At times it could be gripping, but many of the attempts to be 'poetic' fell flat with me.

One of the worst books I have ever read. I do not like her style of writing. its a very "beating around the bush" style of writing. 100 pages in and I still am not interested. I would pretty much pay someone NOT to read this book.

Dull as Dirt
Maybe the most boring of all Morrison's books. I don't like the style of writing, but the plot is also very dry. Most of us don't know too much about Virginia in the late 1600's which would have helped. Not engaging at all.

• Book Jacket: A Land of Permanent Goodbyes

• Book Jacket: Educated
    by Tara Westover

The House of Broken Angels
    by Luis Alberto Urrea

The definitive Mexican-American immigrant story from an acclaimed storyteller.

Win The Balcony