Reader reviews and comments on The Uncommon Reader, plus links to write your own review.

The Uncommon Reader

A Novella

by Alan Bennett

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett

Sep 2007, 128 pages
    Sep 2008, 128 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for The Uncommon Reader

Power Reviewer Dorothy T. (10/15/12)

Uncommon little novel
This is a jolly little fairy tale (I had to keep reminding myself of that distinction) full of British humour and witty satire. I could identify with Her Majesty's obsession: When reading a good book, I frequently have put off housework and even showering and dressing until the afternoon because I had to read just one more chapter--which of course led to one more, and then one more.

My thanks to Will Schwalbe (The End of Your Life Book Club) for the recommendation.
Power Reviewer Cloggie Downunder (01/26/12)

uncommonly funny!
The Uncommon Reader is a novella by novelist and playwright, Alan Bennett. The story starts with the Queen coming across the mobile library van parked near Buckingham Palace, where Norman, a young man from the kitchens, is choosing a book. After making small talk with the driver/librarian and the kitchen hand, she feels duty-bound to borrow a book. Which she, of course, dutifully reads and returns the following week for another. Soon enough, she has Norman transferred from the kitchens to assist her in her new favourite pastime, reading. This delightful dose of British humour speculates on what happens to the royal duties and the royal household as the Queen gives in to her obsession. Full of laugh-out-loud moments, especially the last line.
Nicole (12/12/08)

I agree with the Queen you can always find time to read
This was such an interesting little book to read because Bennett so deftly explores, through the Queen's newly acquired habit reading, the many ways that becoming involved in books can be absorbing and ultimately life changing. It is interesting too that the book explores the fact that while it can be an eye opening experience for those doing the reading it can also be viewed as solitary and potentially isolating to those around you who might not understand what you are getting from the experience, and the drive, to spend every spare moment with a book. There were so many great questions that I would love to think about and explore more so I am sure I will be referring back to this little book not only as fiction but as a reference of sorts.
Velma (04/01/08)

A Reader's Fairy Tale
This book has a lot of humor, intriguing ideas, and charm packed into a small package. I found it to be absolutely delightful! A reader's fairy tale with a lesson for the world. I finished it in just one day, but I will never forget it.
paula (03/07/08)

quirky little read
This is a little book with a lot going on. It's a thinkers book. Look into it as you read. I loved it.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Goodbye Days
    Goodbye Days
    by Jeff Zentner
    Guilt can be a heavy burden for anyone to manage, but it's especially difficult for teenagers. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    by Hannah Tinti
    Hannah Tinti follows her spectacular 2008 debut, The Good Thief, with a novel of uncommon ...
  • Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts
    Music of the Ghosts
    by Vaddey Ratner

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

Manderley Forever
    by Tatiana de Rosnay

Bestselling author Tatiana de Rosnay pays homage to Daphne du Maurier.

Great literature cannot grow from a neglected or impoverished soil...

Y S M B, I'll S Y