Reader reviews and comments on The Tenderness of Wolves, plus links to write your own review.

The Tenderness of Wolves

Mar 2008, 384 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for The Tenderness of Wolves

Gillian McManus

An epic story
Subtle yet honest portrayal character, nuanced emotion and the protagonist, Mrs Ross, wolf mother. I wondered about the title for a long time until I realised that that bitter and hungry country echoed with their presence.
An epic that appealed to what I know of that era especially in regard to the demise and fragmentation of the indigenous culture touched so tenderly by the fingers of the mind of the author.
I got lost in this book, and looked forward to returning to it each evening. It enriched me, I read it a month ago and still miss it
Barbara

A Very Engaging Read
Each character in this book, no matter how briefly they appeared, was well developed and multi-dimensional. The author is very skilled in providing specific insights into a character to develop the internal person, while leaving each character enough mystery to keep the reader engaged. The only problem I had with this book is it ended too soon. I am recommending this book to everyone I know!
Angie

A truly good book
It is a supreme pleasure in life to come across a truly good book that captivates you completely. The Tenderness of Wolves is one of them. The storyline and characters are compelling and full of depth. It is easy to feel compassion and interest for virtually every character in the book. A well crafted, interesting, hard to put down book. Bravo.
Mercedes

A debut novel that is not to be missed
This has it all in just under 400 pages. Genre-bending is a popular descriptor these days but it does not do this novel justice. There is adventure, murder, a love story, a richly described historical setting and all in a first novel. The narrative is told in third person and passes through a succession of characters. Put some quiet time aside for this one. It is well worth the effort.
Philippa Roberts

A Lazy Novel
I wouldn't rate this book anything like as highly as most critics. Some aspects of the plot were highly improbable. For instance, would a gentle 17 year old white boy seriously be suspected of scalping someone? I think it is far more likely that it would have been blamed either on Indians or on an extremely evil, practiced killer. The plot line about the carvings on the bone is just dropped without any explanation. The ending is also very unsatisfying... and the bit about Maria never knowing her good fortune when Donald dies imagining the life they could have had together is just downright silly. There is some good writing in the book but it could have done with a very stiff edit.
bj

Slow and boring
I was disappointed that I had spent the time reading the book. Several tedious background plots were left hanging.

• Book Jacket: The Incendiaries
    The Incendiaries
    by R O. Kwon
    Phoebe Lin, the glamorous but tortured heroine of The Incendiaries, is convinced she has no room for...
  • Book Jacket: Your Duck Is My Duck
    Your Duck Is My Duck
    by Deborah Eisenberg
    In this collection of six short stories, Deborah Eisenberg presents characters confronting limits ...
  • Book Jacket: Unsheltered
    Unsheltered
    by Barbara Kingsolver
    Willa Knox's house is falling down. She recently inherited a Victorian residence in Vineland, ...
  • Book Jacket: Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...

Code Girls
by Liza Mundy

The riveting story of the USA's courageous and accomplished WWII female American code breakers.

The Kennedy Debutante
    by Kerri Maher

"An engrossing tale of family, faith and love in the life of one remarkable woman." - Booklist

Win Gone So Long

Andre Dubus III's First Novel in a Decade

A masterpiece of thrilling tension and heartrending empathy.

G H E Rope A H Will H H