Reader reviews and comments on White Blood, plus links to write your own review.

White Blood

Sep 2008, 368 pages

There is 1 reader review for White Blood

Kim

Excellent novel of the Russian Revolution
There are many things about White Blood that make it a remarkable novel. Fleming focuses on how Russia’s upper middle class were affected by the Revolution, as opposed to writing his novel from the point of view of the revolutionaries, which I found unusual. It’s taut and well-written, conveying a huge sense of time and place, particularly in the second half of the book. The reader can almost feel and even smell the Russian winter. The novel is brutal, but the violence isn’t indiscriminant. These scenes don’t have the feeling of being inserted for the shock value – they feel “real.”

One of the things I found most impressive was that the author portrays a true sense of how people experience large-scale historic events like the Russian Revolution. There’s an awareness of a growing issue, but it’s distant, not something that touches you directly or really interferes with your life. It gradually grows, however, creeping ever nearer until you’re enveloped and it’s too late to escape. Fleming puts his characters in just such a situation. It’s both illustrative and frightening.

My only criticism would be that I found the first part of the novel superfluous. I found the writing and the story to be enjoyable, but completely unnecessary to the real heart of the book. It wasn’t boring, mind you, just out of place.

• Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Aeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Smiling Man
    The Smiling Man
    by Joseph Knox
    Joseph Knox's latest turns on a simple premise: an unidentified and unidentifiable murdered man is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Heavens
    The Heavens
    by Sandra Newman
    I've been a big fan of Sandra Newman's writing ever since reading her 2014 novel The Country of Ice ...
  • Book Jacket: Sugar Run
    Sugar Run
    by Mesha Maren
    Mesha Maren's debut novel is a plunge into the depths of the dark Southern gothic with pulsing and ...

A People's History of Heaven
    by Mathangi Subramanian

A story of love and friendship, and fighting for the places we love.

The Last Year of the War
    by Susan Meissner

A little-known story of WWII with great resonance for our times.

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!