Reader reviews and comments on Eat, Pray, Love, plus links to write your own review.

Eat, Pray, Love

Jan 2007, 352 pages

There are currently 42 reader reviews for Eat, Pray, Love

Jordan (01/11/12)

Thought provoking
In Elizabeth Gilberts book Eat, Pray, Love, I found it quite intriguing that she kicked out what was making her unhappy and took the matter into her own hands instead of seeking professional treatment. This book was very inspirational to me on a personal note, because I am a religious kind of person and she went to God for guidance on where her life should go and what to do. She took in what she thought would be of good use and ignored what she didnt't like to hear from others. Richard from Texas was an interesting character and was a comic relief for Liz when she had down times throughout the book and her travel to India. Overall, I think this book is inspirational and very good. I absolutely loved it and can't wait to see what the movie is like. I would read this one again for sure!
Mickey (01/03/11)

Thought provoking
The book caused me to do some introspective searching and brought an unexpected peace to my life.
It was a "page turner" for me and I hope others will benefit as I did.
Minnie (12/27/10)

I guess I understand
I'm not 100 percent sure of what she's going through, but somehow I have the same kind of feeling. Do I want to say what it is? No. There are inexplicable situations that one would only leave them to the therapists. Seriously, I find her experience quite similar with mine, except that she got to travel around the world. I doubt that she has fully recovered from everything, but I hope that she will continue to find love and happiness in life.
Stace (12/02/10)

Disappointed
I was very excited to be reading this book for a college class. I am only 27 and found myself going through a rough divorce and thought that this book would be helpful and easy to relate to. I was sadly mistaken. This book bored me to death and it took everything I had to try to finish the book without falling to sleep. I felt as though the Author's experiences of life didn't relate to me at all. I don't even want to go see the movie now because of how disappointed I was with the book. Hope others enjoy it more than I did, but I wish I hadn't wasted the money.
Lisa Wood (11/09/10)

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
I was so super excited to buy this book and waited for a week for it to arrive from England.
Every day I would check the post box to see if the book had arrived, and in then had to wait for over week before it was here.
Then once I started to read I was wondering what all the fuss was about...It really took me awhile to get into the book - actually I did not really enjoy the book until almost the end where she really found her true self by searching within through meditation and healing.
Not sure what all the fuss was about, but can see how the book would relate to some women who are experiencing the same feelings in their life.
Not sure if I would highly recommend anyone to read the book, but if you were curious and had spare time then go for it.
Gemma Leslie (10/24/10)

Eat, Pray, Love.
I'm not sure what I was expecting from this book, something along the lines of a well balanced and exciting journey of education and spirituality. With the book being described as self discovery, and everyone in the world raving about it, I thought I would give it a try.

To begin with I didn't like the righteous attitude of the main character, not only did she blaze through the divorce section of the book with little for the reader to connect with, other than her inability to stay out of a bathroom. I didn't feel sorry for her, I felt sorry for her husband. Whom, we read to be this horrible person, but in the most vague way I have ever encountered. I understand that this really wasn't about him, but the author went on and on about it, with little denial other than her own suffering.

Martyrdom over, i was excited with anticipation to read the Italian based segment of the book, only to find that it was again descriptive but in the wrong ways. I wanted to be drawn into the book but I found it difficult to turn the pages.

I love to read, and I really wanted to like this book but it has been a painful ordeal.
I understand that other people have been deeply touched by the authors experiences in this novel, and yes, some of the descriptions and Wikipedia-like history lessons on Bali are exciting, for some I'm sure.

Self indulgent, yes, Insular, yes, Captivating no.

As for a spiritual journey, it has been nothing more than a trendy leap about the globe, sampling what the author felt best described a connection to "God".

Not impressed.
Childwrite (10/12/10)

Lovely writing, but over-the-top
Gilbert is an excellent writer and seems to have an engaging personality. At first, I was caught up in the drama of her life, but her almost-fiction-like adventures began to strain my credulity. Wherever she goes, she immediately and conveniently becomes best friends with a group of exciting, fascinating, extraordinary people who all seem to become almost more interested in her quests than in their own. I have no doubt that the crux of her adventures is based on things that really occurred, but I can't help but wonder how much exaggeration, florid expansion of truth, and hyperbole were added on to achieve the goal of best-sellerdom. I lost interest halfway on because I just could maintain belief in the authenticity of this story.
Ner (10/05/10)

Boring
I was very much attracted by the cover and as they say 'don't judge a book by it's cover'. I was very disappointed with it. It is very boring and I wish I never spent these 7 Euro on it. I flipped my ebook pages as fast as a tornado. I wanted to try and find some interesting part but nowhere was this found. Maybe one part which was not as bad was the Italy part. The rest lacks all features which normally make up a 'good book'.

• Book Jacket: Here I Am
    Commonwealth
    by Ann Patchett

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review