Reader reviews and comments on Water for Elephants, plus links to write your own review.

Water for Elephants

May 2007, 368 pages

There are currently 52 reader reviews for Water for Elephants

Bella W

Great Book
More of an adult/teen book but a great overall book. I could read this over and over again. In my opinion this book should be rated five stars because how this book includes historical events and pictures and how the fiction side too. A bit of both worlds.
jsanders16

Fantastic
Great for adults, some material not recommended for people under 16. Great way to capture the essence of the great depression.
Mabel :)

The Help
I can't wait for the movie to come out! The way that the author uses the old-timey dialogue is PERFECT for this book! It helps you understand where the characters are coming from.
amanda

Water For Elephants
This is my favorite book, I love the characters!:)
mary

water for elephants
The book was enlightening. I can hardly wait for the movie. I think Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson will pair up just fine for this movie
Heather

Awesome Book & Not at All Too Graphic
For anyone who thinks this amazing book is too graphic, you must have been under a rock for many, many years. There are certainly graphic descriptions, however, none are that offensive. Sex & violence are a part of life...it's time people just accept it. If you don't want to read about sex or violence, stay in the Children's or Christian department of the bookstore. That's where you'll find your kind of literature. Let us progressive adults read what we like.

The book deftly blends history, humor, and human emotions into a wonderful tale that will entertain just about anyone. For those who find it offensive, I warn you to stay away from a little book called Geek Love. Focusing on the "freaks" in the circus, Geek Love is something I could understand someone finding truly offensive. & it was an assigned book for me in college! Water for Elephants is an elevating story with a heart. Check it out!
Lisa Marie

Could not put it down
I think the most important aspect of books is feeling whether you could actually see the events on page come to life in your mind. In reading Water for Elephants in less than one day, I found that happened to me.

People talk of writing styles, character development, and whether a writer is established enough to have a book that is already as popular as it is (and have a Hollywood movie being made about it). I tell you with this one, make your own opinion.

I love how the author authentically researched the circus to add in non-fiction details that really intrigue the reader. The love story is compelling and the end while it does seem unbelievable provides for a surprisingly happy, magical ending.

Read Water for Elephants and make up your own mind.
kelly

water for elephants
By far the best book I have read in a long time..One I will keep and re-read often..Can't wait for the movie!

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: The Sea Gate
    The Sea Gate
    by Jane Johnson
    In Jane Johnson's novel, The Sea Gate, set in England, readers are introduced to Becky, a young ...
  • Book Jacket: Stories from Suffragette City
    Stories from Suffragette City
    by M.J. Rose, Fiona Davis
    Our First Impressions readers were fascinated by the historical fiction from a range of authors ...
  • Book Jacket: The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    by Marie Benedict
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie by Marie Benedict, notable author of previous historical fiction such ...
  • Book Jacket: To Be a Man
    To Be a Man
    by Nicole Krauss
    While, as its title hints, To Be a Man by Nicole Krauss is concerned with masculinity, it renders a ...

At the Edge of the Haight
    by Katherine Seligman

Winner of the 2019 PEN/Bellwether Prize for Socially Engaged Fiction.

The Prophets
    by Robert Jones Jr.

A stunning debut novel about the forbidden union between two enslaved young men on a Deep South plantation.

The Moment of Lift
by Melinda Gates
How can we summon a moment of lift for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity.

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people... but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the...

T M T C, T M T Stay T S