Reader reviews and comments on Water for Elephants, plus links to write your own review.

Water for Elephants

May 2007, 368 pages

There are currently 51 reader reviews for Water for Elephants

jsanders16

Fantastic
Great for adults, some material not recommended for people under 16. Great way to capture the essence of the great depression.
Mabel :)

The Help
I can't wait for the movie to come out! The way that the author uses the old-timey dialogue is PERFECT for this book! It helps you understand where the characters are coming from.
amanda

Water For Elephants
This is my favorite book, I love the characters!:)
mary

water for elephants
The book was enlightening. I can hardly wait for the movie. I think Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson will pair up just fine for this movie
Heather

Awesome Book & Not at All Too Graphic
For anyone who thinks this amazing book is too graphic, you must have been under a rock for many, many years. There are certainly graphic descriptions, however, none are that offensive. Sex & violence are a part of life...it's time people just accept it. If you don't want to read about sex or violence, stay in the Children's or Christian department of the bookstore. That's where you'll find your kind of literature. Let us progressive adults read what we like.

The book deftly blends history, humor, and human emotions into a wonderful tale that will entertain just about anyone. For those who find it offensive, I warn you to stay away from a little book called Geek Love. Focusing on the "freaks" in the circus, Geek Love is something I could understand someone finding truly offensive. & it was an assigned book for me in college! Water for Elephants is an elevating story with a heart. Check it out!
kelly

water for elephants
By far the best book I have read in a long time..One I will keep and re-read often..Can't wait for the movie!
Lisa Marie

Could not put it down
I think the most important aspect of books is feeling whether you could actually see the events on page come to life in your mind. In reading Water for Elephants in less than one day, I found that happened to me.

People talk of writing styles, character development, and whether a writer is established enough to have a book that is already as popular as it is (and have a Hollywood movie being made about it). I tell you with this one, make your own opinion.

I love how the author authentically researched the circus to add in non-fiction details that really intrigue the reader. The love story is compelling and the end while it does seem unbelievable provides for a surprisingly happy, magical ending.

Read Water for Elephants and make up your own mind.
Gail

Water for Elephants
Loved this book. Didn't want it to end--missed all the characters when it was over. With the movie coming out, I could visualize the people, which made it even more enjoyable.

Jake

• Book Jacket: Unsheltered
    Unsheltered
    by Barbara Kingsolver
    Willa Knox's house is falling down. She recently inherited a Victorian residence in Vineland, ...
  • Book Jacket: Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: The Boneless Mercies
    The Boneless Mercies
    by April Genevieve Tucholke
    The Mercies are assassins, part of a long tradition of killers who serve to end the suffering of the...
  • Book Jacket: Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen
    Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen
    by Sarah Bird
    Sarah Bird's historical novel, Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen, imagines, with a grand flourish, ...

The Winter Soldier
by Daniel Mason

A story of war and medicine, of finding love in the sweeping tides of history, and of the mistakes we make.

Gone So Long
    by Andre Dubus III

Dubus' first novel in a decade is a masterpiece of thrilling tension and heartrending empathy.

Win Gone So Long

Andre Dubus III's First Novel in a Decade

A masterpiece of thrilling tension and heartrending empathy.

G H E Rope A H Will H H