Reader reviews and comments on Water for Elephants, plus links to write your own review.

Water for Elephants

May 2007, 368 pages

There are currently 51 reader reviews for Water for Elephants

jsanders16

Fantastic
Great for adults, some material not recommended for people under 16. Great way to capture the essence of the great depression.
Mabel :)

The Help
I can't wait for the movie to come out! The way that the author uses the old-timey dialogue is PERFECT for this book! It helps you understand where the characters are coming from.
amanda

Water For Elephants
This is my favorite book, I love the characters!:)
mary

water for elephants
The book was enlightening. I can hardly wait for the movie. I think Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson will pair up just fine for this movie
Heather

Awesome Book & Not at All Too Graphic
For anyone who thinks this amazing book is too graphic, you must have been under a rock for many, many years. There are certainly graphic descriptions, however, none are that offensive. Sex & violence are a part of life...it's time people just accept it. If you don't want to read about sex or violence, stay in the Children's or Christian department of the bookstore. That's where you'll find your kind of literature. Let us progressive adults read what we like.

The book deftly blends history, humor, and human emotions into a wonderful tale that will entertain just about anyone. For those who find it offensive, I warn you to stay away from a little book called Geek Love. Focusing on the "freaks" in the circus, Geek Love is something I could understand someone finding truly offensive. & it was an assigned book for me in college! Water for Elephants is an elevating story with a heart. Check it out!
Lisa Marie

Could not put it down
I think the most important aspect of books is feeling whether you could actually see the events on page come to life in your mind. In reading Water for Elephants in less than one day, I found that happened to me.

People talk of writing styles, character development, and whether a writer is established enough to have a book that is already as popular as it is (and have a Hollywood movie being made about it). I tell you with this one, make your own opinion.

I love how the author authentically researched the circus to add in non-fiction details that really intrigue the reader. The love story is compelling and the end while it does seem unbelievable provides for a surprisingly happy, magical ending.

Read Water for Elephants and make up your own mind.
kelly

water for elephants
By far the best book I have read in a long time..One I will keep and re-read often..Can't wait for the movie!
Gail

Water for Elephants
Loved this book. Didn't want it to end--missed all the characters when it was over. With the movie coming out, I could visualize the people, which made it even more enjoyable.

Jake

• Book Jacket: That Time I Loved You
    That Time I Loved You
    by Carianne Leung
    Carrianne Leung was a Toronto Book Award finalist for That Time I Loved You as well as for her debut...
  • Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Aeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Smiling Man
    The Smiling Man
    by Joseph Knox
    Joseph Knox's latest turns on a simple premise: an unidentified and unidentifiable murdered man is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Heavens
    The Heavens
    by Sandra Newman
    I've been a big fan of Sandra Newman's writing ever since reading her 2014 novel The Country of Ice ...

The Last Year of the War
    by Susan Meissner

A little-known story of WWII with great resonance for our times.

A People's History of Heaven
    by Mathangi Subramanian

A story of love and friendship, and fighting for the places we love.

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!