What readers think of Water for Elephants, plus links to write your own review.

Water for Elephants

May 2007, 368 pages

There are currently 52 reader reviews for Water for Elephants

Bella W

Great Book
More of an adult/teen book but a great overall book. I could read this over and over again. In my opinion this book should be rated five stars because how this book includes historical events and pictures and how the fiction side too. A bit of both worlds.
jsanders16

Fantastic
Great for adults, some material not recommended for people under 16. Great way to capture the essence of the great depression.
Mabel :)

The Help
I can't wait for the movie to come out! The way that the author uses the old-timey dialogue is PERFECT for this book! It helps you understand where the characters are coming from.
amanda

Water For Elephants
This is my favorite book, I love the characters!:)
mary

water for elephants
The book was enlightening. I can hardly wait for the movie. I think Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson will pair up just fine for this movie
Heather

Awesome Book & Not at All Too Graphic
For anyone who thinks this amazing book is too graphic, you must have been under a rock for many, many years. There are certainly graphic descriptions, however, none are that offensive. Sex & violence are a part of life...it's time people just accept it. If you don't want to read about sex or violence, stay in the Children's or Christian department of the bookstore. That's where you'll find your kind of literature. Let us progressive adults read what we like.

The book deftly blends history, humor, and human emotions into a wonderful tale that will entertain just about anyone. For those who find it offensive, I warn you to stay away from a little book called Geek Love. Focusing on the "freaks" in the circus, Geek Love is something I could understand someone finding truly offensive. & it was an assigned book for me in college! Water for Elephants is an elevating story with a heart. Check it out!
Lisa Marie

Could not put it down
I think the most important aspect of books is feeling whether you could actually see the events on page come to life in your mind. In reading Water for Elephants in less than one day, I found that happened to me.

People talk of writing styles, character development, and whether a writer is established enough to have a book that is already as popular as it is (and have a Hollywood movie being made about it). I tell you with this one, make your own opinion.

I love how the author authentically researched the circus to add in non-fiction details that really intrigue the reader. The love story is compelling and the end while it does seem unbelievable provides for a surprisingly happy, magical ending.

Read Water for Elephants and make up your own mind.
kelly

water for elephants
By far the best book I have read in a long time..One I will keep and re-read often..Can't wait for the movie!

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

• Book Jacket: The Most Precious Substance on Earth
    The Most Precious Substance on Earth
    by Shashi Bhat
    Think of all the worst parts of puberty — all the moments you partially miss or brood about ...
    Lightning Strike
    by William Kent Krueger
    It is the summer of 1963 in Tamarack County, Minnesota. Just outside the small town of Aurora, ...
  • Book Jacket: Bitch
    Bitch
    by Lucy Cooke
    In middle school biology class, many of us were told that men hunt and women nest, that testosterone...
  • Book Jacket: Jackie & Me
    Jackie & Me
    by Louis Bayard
    Louis Bayard's Jackie & Me offers a fictionalized version of the early relationship between John F. ...

Members Recommend

Widowland
    by C. J. Carey

A thrilling feminist dystopian novel set in an alternate 1950s Britain under the control of the Third Reich.

Dirt Creek
    by Hayley Scrivenor

"A heart-wrenching mystery, Scrivenor's remarkable sense of place brings Dirt Creek to life. A stellar debut."
    —Jane Harper,

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign...

I Wishes W H B W R