Reader reviews and comments on Suite Francaise, plus links to write your own review.

Suite Francaise

Apr 2007, 448 pages

There is 1 reader review for Suite Francaise

Kathleen

A
I kept coming across this book in my frequent online searches for intelligent yet readable book group choices. Finally, another book group member suggested it, so we knew it was meant to be. I loved this book, and was sorry when I finished, knowing the ultimate draft of the book and what happened to these touchingly real characters would never really be known. I always feel unsure about how to judge the writing style when the book is a translation, but the poetic words and the raw emotions of the characters was thrilling! The true fear, anticipation and patriotic fervor of all the characters (of the French and German people both) was so human and believable. The confusion of the terrified Parisians at the time of occupation was really startling. I was enthralled from the start. Everyone should read this book. This is fiction from someone who almost lived through it, making it all the more poignant. Should be required reading for all high school students. Excellent!

Today's Top Picks

Heaven, My Home
    by Attica Locke
    Attica Locke's 2017 novel Bluebird, Bluebird introduced us to Texas Ranger Darren Mathews, who ...
  • Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C