Reader reviews and comments on Suite Francaise, plus links to write your own review.

Suite Francaise

Apr 2007, 448 pages

There is 1 reader review for Suite Francaise

Kathleen

A
I kept coming across this book in my frequent online searches for intelligent yet readable book group choices. Finally, another book group member suggested it, so we knew it was meant to be. I loved this book, and was sorry when I finished, knowing the ultimate draft of the book and what happened to these touchingly real characters would never really be known. I always feel unsure about how to judge the writing style when the book is a translation, but the poetic words and the raw emotions of the characters was thrilling! The true fear, anticipation and patriotic fervor of all the characters (of the French and German people both) was so human and believable. The confusion of the terrified Parisians at the time of occupation was really startling. I was enthralled from the start. Everyone should read this book. This is fiction from someone who almost lived through it, making it all the more poignant. Should be required reading for all high school students. Excellent!

• Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...
  • Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...
  • Book Jacket: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    by Rajeev Balasubramanyam
    Rajeev Balasubramanyam encapsulates the theme of Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss in its first ...
  • Book Jacket: The Workshop and the World
    The Workshop and the World
    by Robert P. Crease
    The longest glacier in France, the Mer de Glace, is losing roughly 12 feet of ice height each year. ...

Greek to Me
    by Mary Norris

The Comma Queen returns with a buoyant book about language, love, and the wine-dark sea.

The Affairs of the Falcóns
    by Melissa Rivero

A beautiful, urgent novel about the lengths one woman is willing to go to build a new life.

Book Club
An American Marriage
by Tayari Jones

A masterpiece of storytelling, and a 2018 Oprah's Book Club Selection.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Ecstasy

Win copies to share with friends or your book club!

Ecstasy reveals the true Alma Mahler: composer, author, daughter, mother, wife, lover, and muse.

A B Penny A T U