Reader reviews and comments on No Country For Old Men, plus links to write your own review.

No Country For Old Men

by Cormac McCarthy

No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

Jul 2005, 320 pages
    Jul 2006, 320 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for No Country For Old Men

steedze (11/20/09)

life
The three main characters are all so different, but stubborn in their own way. Whenever you feel tired of one character, the next paragraph will oblige and you will be hooked again. The coldness of the antagonist chills you but in a way you like. Ending is very open but I would love it if the story ended here.
Sue (09/05/08)

No Country for Old Men
This book left me shaken, also. I now view locked doors as questionable (you need to read the book to figure out that comment!).

That there are people in existence who are so cold and single-minded as the no-named hired killer is frightening.
Power Reviewer Kim (05/06/08)

Still not sure if how I feel about this one!
I'm giving this book a 5/5 because it meets my criteria for a "good book": The characters are interesting & complex; the writing is excellent; the plot kept me (very) involved; and it's one that will stay with me for a long time. As the Bookbrowse page says, all the critics agree this is a "page-turner." I had a very difficult time putting it down.

McCarthy's lack of punctuation and grammatically incorrect syntax were at first challenging, but I think it forced me to pay more attention to the text, thereby really wrapping me up in the plot. It is, however, very violent. People who are squeamish or find no entertainment value in senseless violence will want to give this one a miss. In addition, much of the book is a "monologue" of sorts. This works initially, but I felt it went on a bit long, kind of beating me over the head with McCarthy's message ("OK, OK, I GOT it already!").

Finally, I object to the ending, which positively screams "sequel in the works." I would have liked more subtlety there. Overall, I am recommending it to my friends with the above caveats.
Thea (04/10/08)

Beauty & Destruction
The first page of this book will hook you, it is so beautifully written (as is the rest of the story). The story does leave you shaken. It is amazing that a story written so eloquently could be so brutal. You feel the brutality more so because it is pulled from reality.

Tender

Caught in the Revolution
    by Helen Rappaport

A Piece of the World
    by Christina Baker Kline

It is among the commonplaces of education that we often first cut off the living root and then try to replace its ...

K Your F C