What readers think of Captain Alatriste, plus links to write your own review.

Captain Alatriste

Dec 2005, 304 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Captain Alatriste

S. McDougald

Quiet swashbuckler
Captain Alatriste is a mysterious figure who keeps to himself throughout the book. The narrator is also a thirteen-year-old boy, so it's realistic that he can't tell us everything about him. I also had a good sense of what it was like to live in Spain during the time of the Inquisition, so the author must have done lots of research.
Political intrigue in the highest circles fuels this story, complete with an assassination attempt. However, a little more swashbuckling and a little less poetry would have suited me. Much of the plot focuses on a play critical of the king written by one of the characters, a friend of Alatriste's.
There are hints of what could happen in the sequel. I was left wondering about the little blond girl which the narrator found so irresistible.
All in all, I would recommend Captain Alatriste as an entertaining story about a clever man who prefers to use his head before his sword.
Kirconnell

Letdown?
I really wanted to like this book because I have loved all of Reverte's other works, but somehow it just didn't appeal to me like them. It didn't seem as if Captain Alatriste had the same flair and intrigue.. It is informative as all of Reverte's works are, but I am tempted to pass up the following books in the series after my experience with this one.

One-Month Free

Discover books that
entertain, engage & enlighten.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Blizzard Party
    The Blizzard Party
    by Jack Livings
    It is 1978 and the place is New York City. A massive bacchanalian party is taking place at an Upper ...
  • Book Jacket: The Light of Days
    The Light of Days
    by Judy Batalion
    Renia, Sarah, Zivia, Frumka, Hantze, Tosia, Vladka, Chajka, Gusta, Hela, Bela, Lonka, Tema, Chasia, ...
  • Book Jacket: Hummingbird Salamander
    Hummingbird Salamander
    by Jeff VanderMeer
    In Hummingbird Salamander, Jeff VanderMeer weaves cybersecurity, bioterrorism, wildlife trafficking ...
  • Book Jacket: The Women of Chateau Lafayette
    The Women of Chateau Lafayette
    by Stephanie Dray
    The Women of Chateau Lafayette, Stephanie Dray's latest work of historical fiction, revolves around ...

The Widow Queen
    by Elzbieta Cherezinska

The epic story of an 11th century Polish queen whose life and name were all but forgotten until now.

The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman
    by Julietta Henderson

A charming, uplifting debut about a mother and her 12-year-old son, an aspiring comedian.

Miss Austen
by Gill Hornby
A witty, poignant novel about Cassandra Austen and her famous sister, Jane.
Win This Book!
Win The Beauty of Your Face

A New York Times Notable Book of 2020

"Stunning.… A timely family saga with faith and forgiveness at its core."
Marie Claire