MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Year of Pleasures, plus links to write your own review.

The Year of Pleasures

Mar 2006, 225 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Year of Pleasures

Lynnette Krause

Moving and Entertaining
Elizabeth Berg never fails to move me. She knows how to touch on every emotion there is and she has such a way with words. She knows how to make me laugh, cry, or just smile at those little ordinary things that we all take for granted in life. I did not want this story to end.

I have read most of her books and I have loved them all. I am always telling my friends what a wonderful writer Berg is and if I could meet any author in the world I would choose her, because her books are not only moving and entertaining, but they make you want to know the author.
Becca

My thoughts
I agree with most of what susan said except I do not see how their relationship was unrealistic. What do you consider a realistic relationship? Hating each other and wanting to get out of it every day of your life? They never said that they did not argue or disagree on some things, they simply said that they were a great match for each other and they loved each other. I would like to know these "untrue" characters. Anyway i thought the book was a lovely story with a deep passionate meaning.
Susan

Disappointment
This is my first Elizabeth Berg novel. I was excited to read it because of all the great reviews. I was very disappointed, even to the point of being uninterested in ever reading her again. I did feel that Ms. Berg must have done alot of reasearch on the effects of widowhood. Not having gone through it myself, I felt that her character was displaying the grief, the irrational thinking, the terrors and the lonliness that new widows must go through. But only new widows from a unrealistic perfect marriage. I grew very tired of the descriptions of the perfect John. I was also exasperated at a woman my age who had not developed a seperate identity from her husband. I thought that went out with my mother's generation. Other characters and situations also rang untrue. For a better read on widowhood, try Lolly Winston's "Good Grief."

• Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...
  • Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...
  • Book Jacket: A Good Neighborhood
    A Good Neighborhood
    by Therese Anne Fowler
    After fictionalized biographies of Zelda Fitzgerald (Z, 2013) and Alva Vanderbilt (A Well-Behaved ...
  • Book Jacket: Little Gods
    Little Gods
    by Meng Jin
    Little Gods, Meng Jin's intricate, emotionally intelligent debut, opens with a scene in which ...

The Sun Down Motel
    by Simone St. James

The chilling new novel from the national bestselling and award-winning author of The Broken Girls.

Cartier's Hope
    by M. J. Rose

A Gilded Age gem of ambition & betrayal from the author of New York Times bestseller, Tiffany Blues.

Father of Lions
by Louise Callaghan

A true-to-life narrative of one man's remarkable quest to save the Mosul Zoo.

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I