Reader reviews and comments on The Year of Pleasures, plus links to write your own review.

The Year of Pleasures

by Elizabeth Berg

The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg

Apr 2005, 224 pages
    Mar 2006, 225 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Year of Pleasures

Lynnette Krause

Moving and Entertaining
Elizabeth Berg never fails to move me. She knows how to touch on every emotion there is and she has such a way with words. She knows how to make me laugh, cry, or just smile at those little ordinary things that we all take for granted in life. I did not want this story to end.

I have read most of her books and I have loved them all. I am always telling my friends what a wonderful writer Berg is and if I could meet any author in the world I would choose her, because her books are not only moving and entertaining, but they make you want to know the author.
Becca

My thoughts
I agree with most of what susan said except I do not see how their relationship was unrealistic. What do you consider a realistic relationship? Hating each other and wanting to get out of it every day of your life? They never said that they did not argue or disagree on some things, they simply said that they were a great match for each other and they loved each other. I would like to know these "untrue" characters. Anyway i thought the book was a lovely story with a deep passionate meaning.
Susan

Disappointment
This is my first Elizabeth Berg novel. I was excited to read it because of all the great reviews. I was very disappointed, even to the point of being uninterested in ever reading her again. I did feel that Ms. Berg must have done alot of reasearch on the effects of widowhood. Not having gone through it myself, I felt that her character was displaying the grief, the irrational thinking, the terrors and the lonliness that new widows must go through. But only new widows from a unrealistic perfect marriage. I grew very tired of the descriptions of the perfect John. I was also exasperated at a woman my age who had not developed a seperate identity from her husband. I thought that went out with my mother's generation. Other characters and situations also rang untrue. For a better read on widowhood, try Lolly Winston's "Good Grief."

• Book Jacket: Forest Dark
    Forest Dark
    by Nicole Krauss
    In Forest Dark, Nicole Krauss presents parallel stories of two people who leave New York to stay in ...
  • Book Jacket: The Amber Shadows
    The Amber Shadows
    by Lucy Ribchester
    The Amber Shadows sweeps readers into the realm of World War II-era Britain where Honor "Honey" ...
  • Book Jacket: Midwinter Break

The Twelve-Mile Straight
    by Eleanor Henderson

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E