Reader reviews and comments on A Fine Balance, plus links to write your own review.

A Fine Balance

by Rohinton Mistry

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

Nov 2001, 624 pages
    Nov 2001, 603 pages

There are currently 11 reader reviews for A Fine Balance

Barbara, The Club's Book Groups (03/12/10)

Yes, it is a great read!
The tragedy, the sorrow, the loss, is almost too much for me to recommend this; on the other hand Mistry made me believe I knew these characters. I believe I would know them on the street if I were to go to India today. It is true, as others have said, I did not want to put it down each night; however one better have a good read of something that makes one laugh after reading this one. Our book group will review it next month, and since I selected it, I cannot wait to hear what everyone thinks.
Paula Ashby (10/05/09)

A Fine Balance
An outstanding story set in India that truly tells it like it is. It is like Shantaram without the Westerners. No gloss added - just pure reality as anyone who has been to India will know. Book of the year for me.
Barbara (02/22/05)

Our book group chose this for our February discussion. I could not put it down! In fact, I also borrowed the unabridged audio version so I could do my household chores and listen at the same time! Rohinton Mistry is truly gifted in his descriptions of India and the various peoples. One of my daughters lived in India for a couple of years and she agreed that this book captured the "feel" of the country. Mistry pulled me into the story and I felt as if I were living there in Dina's little apartment with Maneck & the tailors, eating chappatis, drinking hot tea.
SMN (11/17/04)

After reading this book, I feel in love with Rohinton Mistry's books. I have read every book that he has published and loved them all. this book was... Well there are no words to say how great this book was.
Lubna (10/31/04)

It's an amazing book! One of the best I have ever read!
Libra (10/17/04)

One of the best book telling the real story of Humans...
Gopi Chandroth (09/19/04)

This is one of the best books I have read in recent times. It is gripping from the Prologue onwards. The author has an excellent insight into the life of the impoverished millions in India. However rather than gloating on the poverty of the people he brings out their maganimous and generous nature. The excesses of the Emergency are exposed all through the book, yet there was not one page where one could say the author was exaggerating. All that happened during the Emergency, the year of darkness in India's democratic history. The story with all its diverse threads come together in a respendant quilt much like the one put together by Dina Dalal. It is tragic and ends sadly but it makes you laugh all the way through. Some book. Hats off to Rohinton and eagerly awaiting the next one.
Trish (07/28/04)

Much more than just a story of India and oppression--a universal exploration of hope and despair. The best book I've read in ten years.

Tender
    Strangers in Their Own Land
    by Arlie Russell Hochschild

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

It was one of the worst speeches I ever heard ... when a simple apology was all that was required.

K Your F C