What readers think of The Quality of Life Report, plus links to write your own review.

The Quality of Life Report

by Meghan Daum

The Quality of Life Report by Meghan Daum X
The Quality of Life Report by Meghan Daum

May 2003, 309 pages

Jun 2004, 320 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Quality of Life Report

JP

I recieved The Quality of Life Report as a gift recently, I usually don't read this type of book(mystery and horror for me), so I started this book with a not very open mind.
This book is worth reading. Very simple and to the point. It's very entertaining, and will keep your attention. There are quite a few humorous points, that I snickered at, and had to explain to my boyfriend why.
Like all books there were a few points that could have been omitted. But they don't make my opinion of the book any less. I defintely reccommend The Quality of Life Report, and will be passing along my copy to my friends.
Kim W

I really enjoyed this book, and the satirical way that Meghan Daum tells the story had me laughing and crying, sometimes on the same page. The story is about a young woman named Lucinda Trout who's a television journalist for a NYC program, and she's struggling financially as well as emotionally with survival in the big city. The station sends her on location to a fictional Midwestern town called Prairie City and she immediately falls in love with the small town life and the promises she thinks it has in store for her. She convinces her bosses to let her stay in Prairie City for the coming year in order to do some on-location feature stories for the station. As the job fades into the background, she begins to settle into life in Prairie City and becomes involved romantically with one of the locals who's not exactly what you'd call a "stand up" kind of guy. The bottom line is that she left NYC where she was having problems financially, socially, etc., for a small, Midwestern town with the idea that her life will be simpler and better, but what she finds out is that the grass isn't really greener on the other side, it's just "different" and has it's own share of problems to deal with. Lucinda becomes more and more self aware as she struggles with each change, and although she sometimes feels hopeless, she never gives up hope.
Leolene

Sorry, but it's depressing
I have read a lot of chick lit and this is not chick lit. It is a commentary on life in the midwest and God help anyone who lives there if this is a true representation. It's well-written, don't get me wrong. But it's a book where at the end, I didn't even like the "heroine" and was so disturbed by the presence of meth in the plot. I know it's real, but there should be a mention of it on the back book cover so the reader knows what they're getting in to!

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: A Short Walk Through a Wide World
    A Short Walk Through a Wide World
    by Douglas Westerbeke
    From the very first page of A Short Walk Through a Wide World, debut novelist (and librarian!) ...
  • Book Jacket: The Swans of Harlem
    The Swans of Harlem
    by Karen Valby
    Journalist Karen Valby's first book, The Swans of Harlem, introduces readers to the little-known ...
  • Book Jacket: The Sicilian Inheritance
    The Sicilian Inheritance
    by Jo Piazza
    Sara Marsala is going through a rough patch, to say the least. In the process of divorcing from her ...
  • Book Jacket: The Light Eaters
    The Light Eaters
    by Zoë Schlanger
    The human race is completely dependent on plants. Many people, however, give little thought to ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Romantic Comedy
by Curtis Sittenfeld
A comedy writer's stance on love shifts when a pop star challenges her assumptions in this witty and touching novel.

Members Recommend

This Strange Eventful History
    by Claire Messud

An immersive, masterful story of a family born on the wrong side of history.

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor

R is a D B S C