Reader reviews and comments on All He Ever Wanted, plus links to write your own review.

All He Ever Wanted

by Anita Shreve

All He Ever Wanted by Anita Shreve X
All He Ever Wanted by Anita Shreve

Apr 2003, 320 pages
    Jan 2004, 352 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for All He Ever Wanted

John Taylor

I found "All He Ever Wanted" one of the best novels I have read for many years.

Her skilful plot with its almost endless suspense is outstanding.

Her use of language reminds me of Iris Murdoch with touches of Poe , Hawthorne and Thomas Hardy thrown in for good measure.

I do not know of any living English novelist of comparable quality , although my daughter prefers Fay Weldon.
Melanie

I have read all of Shreve's books and this one did not disappoint. She had an interesting way of telling yet another compelling story. The characters, plot and setting are all very strong. As always, what isn't said, is just as intriguing as what is said.
Maureen

This is the second book by Anita Shreve I've read--The Pilot's Wife, the first. This was a very different read, but truly amazing! I couldn't put it down. I found it haunting and compelling. My emotions were on a roller coaster with my sympathy and then loathing for Nicholas. I have recommended this book to all my friends in our reading group.
hilary

I have just finished reading "All He Ever Wanted" by Anita Shreve. I have enjoyed several of her novels and feel that this one matches all of the others in the quality of the writing and the depiction of character and emotion. I too would like to read Etna's story and wonder whether Anita has considered writing a sequel? The writing is concise and the feelings evoked are almost painful at times in their focus and accuracy. I think "Eden Close" is still my favourite novel to date.

I look forward to Anita's next book!

Richard

It has a very dramatic opening that snags the reader, then it drags for about 100 pages, all of which is setup for a dramatic, page-turner ending. Once you start the last 100 pages, it is difficult to put down. In the end the reader is left with the most poignant of human dilemmas--our great need for intimacy and human connection, coupled with an inability to find such fulfillment.
hanh

This is my first time reading any of Anita Shreve's book, and this story isn't half bad. I liked how she held back her plot.
Morag Sutton

A new approach for Shreve. Writing in the first person as a male from 100 years ago, she weaves the poignant life story of Professor Van Tassel and his love for Etna Bliss. Van Tassel is a stuffed shirt, a snob and a man consumed by his only real passion, Etna, and his position at Thrupp College. His love pushes him to the edge in a tale that explores human nature's darkest corners. This book reveals the depths of feeling that are in people who seem devoid of emotion.
Peter Alexander

"Weight of Water," "Strange Fits of Passion," and "Where or When" are wonderful, uniquely brilliant. "All He Ever Wanted" is a major disappointment - a #3, just because Anita's a great and unusual writer. But as Pat said, Etna's story would have been far more interesting, or even Clara's story!

• Book Jacket: Educated
    Educated
    by Tara Westover
    Voted 2018 Best Nonfiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

Tara Westover had the kind of ...
  • Book Jacket: Circe
    Circe
    by Madeline Miller
    Voted 2018 Best Fiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

Towards the end of Madeline Miller...
  • Book Jacket: Children of Blood and Bone
    Children of Blood and Bone
    by Tomi Adeyemi
    Voted 2018 Best Young Adult Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

What would you do if, in a ...
  • Book Jacket: Where the Crawdads Sing
    Where the Crawdads Sing
    by Delia Owens
    Voted 2018 Best Debut Novel Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

Where the Crawdads Sing was a ...

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

The Travelling Cat Chronicles
    by Hiro Arikawa

A life-affirming anthem to kindness and self-sacrifice.

Win The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

The 7 ½ Deaths of
Evelyn Hardcastle

"Agatha Christie meets Groundhog Day...quite unlike anything I've ever read." - A. J. Finn

The Big Holiday Wordplay: $400+ in Prizes