Reader reviews and comments on Samurai William, plus links to write your own review.

Samurai William

The Englishman Who Opened Japan

by Giles Milton

Samurai William by Giles Milton

Jan 2003, 368 pages
    Feb 2003, 416 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Samurai William

Alexander (11/04/03)

I've just read this book, and was spell bound. I found it to be informative, providing the much needed historical context both from the the Japanese and European perspectives.

As one who has spent the last 20 years in Japan, I'd say this is a good guide to those looking for reasons why the Japanese behaved as they did in the "unfortunate incident" in the mid 20th C and will behave again in the 21st C and beyond if the chance arises.

Many cultural pointers all round.
Damien Noonan (06/23/03)

What a fantastic book! Anyone who has a love of swashbuckling tales, sea faring, battle and medieval mindsets and cruelties of both English and Japanese peoples will relish this book. I was given the rare thrill of traveling alongside these bold adventures into lands unknown and unseen, feeling thier amazement wonder and horror at what they witnessed.
I cannot recomend Mr Miltons work enough. It is true history researched so thorughly as to read like a fictional novel, how i lament that my own history teachers had but a fraction of Mr Miltons skills in storytelling. It is a book which when finished makes one feel as if waken from a dream. I have since bought an read all four of Mr miltons books and greedly await his next.

• Book Jacket: Lincoln in the Bardo
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

A library is thought in cold storage

K Your F C