Reader reviews and comments on The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency, plus links to write your own review.

The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency

Feb 2001, 235 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency

Serena Scholl

The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency
Precious Ramotswe founds The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency, the first ever ladies detective agency in Botswana. The cases and lives of Ma Ramotswe and her assistant, Ma Makutsi play out like a sweet song - light and at the same time profound, leaving imprints on the heart. You won't want to put this book down, or any of them from the 16 book series. Each glows with inspiring and poetic common sense about the complications and joys of being human. Day to day life of the ladies with their husbands, families and friends, their challenges both past and present, rolls off the pages telling much about traditional and contemporary life in Botswana. I guarantee you'll want the entire series - and a nice cup of red bush tea!
Muff

great summer read
A friend had recommended this book and others in the series but I just wasn't interested. Some time later, I got the book on CD and loved it! It helped with the pronunciation of the names and I agree that Lisette is a wonderful speaker. I have read all of the books in the series and have enjoyed every one of them. I agree that the writing style is simple, but there are much deeper messages there if you take the time to think about it.
PhyllisC

This entire series is simply fabulous. The emotions displayed on every page are so real, so caring, so down-to-earth, so charming, and make us all wish to slow down and enjoy pumpkin more in our lives. I must give kudos as well to Lisette Lecat, the narrator of all four books on tape. She reads with such precision and clarity and her amazing accent brings the names and places to life. She is a master of narrating each voice with a slightly different tone. Highly recommended as a read or a listen.
Jaonie G

A most enjoyable read. I loved the simple plot line, the language and word choice, and the values that permeate the text: I can feel Africa on every page, not just read a book set on the continent. I loved being immersed so gracefully in a different culture. The African equivalent of "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" with a twist of life's mysteries and simple joys. Absolutely lovely.
Jojo Vinick

I think this was an interesting read, one that I had to sit down and think about when I was done. The author really has a way of transporting the reader to Africa and showing them, the heart of the countinent, and Botswana as a whole.
had not heard of book 'til had to read for english

I found it quite interesting, but what annoyed me was little unfinished parts to the novel which i think were meant to leave the reader in suspence and wonder, but left me annoyed as i didnt know what had happened. The language was also a little simple for a year 11 novel i thought and did not challenge me at all. Quite good but could've been better.
kill me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this book has got to be the worst novel i have read in my life!!!!!!!!!! i too have to study it for english and find it extremely boring. it is not your typical detective novel and my 9 year old brother would have enjoyed it more than me. it is a childish representation of detectives and africa in general
-Kat, 16, Australia
Robin

different people
I was interested to read the really poor review that this novel got. Why would someone give the book a really poor review? I think it is because they just do not understand the story that is being told.

A colleague of mine worked in the Power Station in Botswana. He told me that the local Librarian did abortions in the Library, and that it was not unusual to see his bosses, very drunk on a Friday or Saturday night.

I have also had relations who lived in South Africa. I have heard stories about their House Servants, that would keep a British Social Work Department busy for years.

Underlying the apparent easy going nature of the novel is an awareness of the less pleasant aspects of life. I think that is something that a sixteen year old in Australia might not be aware of.

• Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...
  • Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...
  • Book Jacket: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    by Rajeev Balasubramanyam
    Rajeev Balasubramanyam encapsulates the theme of Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss in its first ...
  • Book Jacket: The Workshop and the World
    The Workshop and the World
    by Robert P. Crease
    The longest glacier in France, the Mer de Glace, is losing roughly 12 feet of ice height each year. ...

Greek to Me
    by Mary Norris

The Comma Queen returns with a buoyant book about language, love, and the wine-dark sea.

When We Left Cuba
    by Chanel Cleeton

An exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.

Book Club
An American Marriage
by Tayari Jones

A masterpiece of storytelling, and a 2018 Oprah's Book Club Selection.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Ecstasy

Win copies to share with friends or your book club!

Ecstasy reveals the true Alma Mahler: composer, author, daughter, mother, wife, lover, and muse.

A B Penny A T U