Reader reviews and comments on Casa Rossa, plus links to write your own review.

Casa Rossa

Oct 2003, 352 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Casa Rossa

Sophie Annesley

Casa Rossa
This book is an incredible journey through the eyes of three generations; you travel through Rome and the Southern Italian counrtyside to hear the tales of one family set against the back drop of Italy in WW2, the terrorism of the seventies through to the present day.
As the house is dismantled, so the lives of those who have lived in the house unfold. We are left contemplating the question of truth and how much the next generation is affected by the previous one, and how far we can reinterpret the past. This is mirrored by the political situation of Italy. Other levels are apparent however: one of the main characters is a screen writer and his successful films ultimately succeed or fail based on the love story and the power of one or two memorable scenes. In the same way, this book succeeds on the strength of its powerful love stories and its extrodinary scenes: for example, the image of the sweaty train journey when Oliveiro first meets Alba.
paola romagnani

Casa Rossa is a great book. It is simply brilliant. It made me cry and laugh and I could not put the book down, I read it all in three days. I'm Italian but have not lived the 70s, Casa Rossa has led me into that period with such an intensity, all the images I barely remember from the time I was a little girl came to life, exploded from the page and became so vivid! I thought Rules of The Wild was brilliant but Casa Rossa is a masterpiece.

• Book Jacket: American Prison
    American Prison
    by Shane Bauer
    After spending over two years in Iran's notorious Evin Prison for supposedly crossing the country's ...
  • Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...

The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott

A crowning achievement of one of the finest American writers at work today.

French Exit
    by Patrick deWitt

A brilliant and darkly comic novel from bestselling author Patrick deWitt.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter