Read what people think about The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman, and write your own review.

by Laura Lippman

• Published in USA  Jan 2011
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 33 reader reviews for The Girl in the Green Raincoat

Kelly (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) (12/26/10)

Great plot twist; weak character development
Overall, the book is a fast read and quite good. The plot is very interesting and familiar. The plot twist is unexpected and delightful and converts a familiar story to a unique story. The only real weakness is a lack of character development in all but Tess' character. Perhaps such development is not necessary as the story is Tess plus the plot. However, a bit more rounding out of some of the other characters, particularly Crow and Whitney, would provide depth to the story to make it a great read.
Patti F (12/08/10)

Girl in the Green Raincoat
Having never read a Tess Monaghan novel before (where have I been??) I will be back for more! I felt like I was out there on that porch with Tess, in this twist of Rear Window. The story pulled you right in but it is the cadence of the language that keeps you engaged. Each chapter appears to be a mini layer all its own, stories within the main story that added to the plot. Just wonderful.
Barbra W. (Dexter, MI) (12/03/10)

The Girl in the Green Raincoat
After reading the first few pages of this novella, it struck me as the perfect easy, get-away-from-it-all story. With a nod to "Rear Window" and likable main characters it seemed like a great weekend read. But as I got into the book, I found the overall cadence of the book rather flat and predictable. The characters seemed somewhat 2-dimensional. The main character never struck me as particularly good at her job as an investigator, nor did the "big twist" in the plot seem all that surprising. So while I'd like to recommend the book, I'd have to say that overall it was just so-so and I wouldn't seek out other books in this series.
Kathy G. (Alamo, CA) (12/01/10)

The Girl in The Green Raincoat
I read the book in two days between house guests and preparing Thanksgiving dinner. It was a welcome friend as I slipped into bed after a long fun day. My only negative is that I had trouble relating to Tess's attitude toward pregnancy. I was glad that she became a loving and caring mother at the end. Regardless, the book was very well written and I will read another of Laura Lippman's novels.
Nancy D. (West Chester, PA) (12/01/10)

Short but worthwhile
I enjoyed this book, especially the premise of Tess's confinement. Although the book was short, really a novella, the story kept my interest and was well executed. I have read books by Laura Lippman before but this was my first Tess Monaghan. It will not be my last.
June A. (Randallstown, Maryland) (11/26/10)

The Girl in the Green Raincoat
Interesting plot. Otherwise rather insipid. Little character development. My first encounter with this author, but it probably appeals to fans of this series.
Kristen H. (Lowell, MA) (11/23/10)

Mole hill to mountain while still mole hill
This book starts out with Tessa noticing a girl walking in the park with her dog and then the girl goes missing and while everyone else thinks that Tessa is making a mountain out of a mole hill in this girl's disappearance she is certain something is wrong. This book captivated me from the beginning for it starts with such a simple premise and the whole story stays simple though the ending is a bit of a surprise.
Liz M. (Morristown, NJ) (11/23/10)

The Girl in the Green Raincoat
I really enjoyed this book, it's a short story that keeps your interest with a good plot and characters. This was my first book by Laura Lippman, but not my last. I will definitely go back and find other books written by her. A good book to curl up with on a cold evening!

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    by Brit Bennett

by Paulette Jiles

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.