Read what people think about The False Friend by Myla Goldberg, and write your own review.

by Myla Goldberg

• Published in USA  Oct 2010

There are currently 23 reader reviews for The False Friend

Carole (10/30/10)

Justified opinion
Almost stopped reading this book about one third of the way through as I just couldn't connect with Celia, the main character. Nevertheless, something compelled me to read on; I was interested in how Celia resolved the issue of what really happened. My disappointment in the ending was strong enough to send me online to read other comments and lo and behold - most readers felt as I did. It wasn't just me! We similarly felt the ending was most unsatisfying, leaving us to draw our own conclusions when we would have preferred having the author do it for us.
Melissa (Books R Us) (10/12/10)

The False Friend
I did not enjoy the book as much as I thought I would. It took me a while to get into the storyline and the characters were not very interesting to me. I am not saying that the novel was bad, but there was something missing and the characters did not come to life. I have never read any of the author's other books so I cannot compare them. I was disappointed with the ending because it was vague.
Karen G. (Oakland, CA) (09/13/10)

The False Friend
In the book "The False Friend" by Myla Goldberg the reader is thrust into Celia's dilemma in the first several pages without knowing much of who Celia's is or was, and the character development comes along with plot development. It is a book that reminded me of girls' childhood interactions and however seemingly innocent, the subtle bullying that females participate in and continue to play a part of even as adult women. This book brought me to recall several scenarios of my own and may do the same for others in a forgiving way, without having to deal with our past lives on Facebook.
Roni S. (Pittsburgh, PA) (08/30/10)

The False Friend
The False Friend is a good psychological mystery. It is well written and I liked it better than Bee Season which is another book by Myla Goldberg.
The book deals with relationships - boyfriend, parents, and middle school friends from 20 years ago. It would be a good book for book groups. I was disappointed with the ending. However, once I reread the ending and concentrated on every word, I understood it better but still was disappointed.
Janet Schneider, Great Neck Library, NY (08/29/10)

The Consequences of Bullying
In 'The False Friend', one morning on the way to her Chicago job Celia Dunst has a flashback to a tragic event 21 years earlier which resulted in the disappearance of her best friend Djuna Pearson. Galvanized by the need to confirm her long-repressed memories of the incident and her role in it, Celia searches for evidence in a visit back to her hometown in upstate New York. There the horrible truth about the Queen Bee-bullying behavior she participated in during her 11th year is revealed through Roshoman-style different perspectives from her family, childhood friends and Djuna’s mother.

How did the Celia at age 11 turn into the Celia at age 32? A gracefully-told story of gaining closure and facing hard truths, 'The False Friend' takes a thought-provoking and believable look at bullying behavior in young girls—at the consequences of trauma suffered by the target of bullying and also at the dynamics which lead to the behavior itself.

As the mother of two daughters now in their older teens, I was riveted by 'The False Friend'.
Kim B. (Arlington, TX) (08/23/10)

Didn't disappoint, but....
Based on the description of this book, and it's relatively short length, I had expected to devour it in one sitting. But I never really 'bonded' with the characters, even though I did like them. I rated this book a 4 because this might have been the wrong time for me to read such a book. The author did fascinate me with her exceptional prose; the kind that make you go back and reread a phrase, look up from the page and chew on it for a few minutes. If ever I have a rainy day with nothing to do I'd like to pull this book down and give it a second go.
Kathy S. (Danbury, CT) (08/18/10)

Very Disappointing
The back-cover synopsis of this book was enticing, and I was mentally prepared for a great book. What a disappointment! The characters were flat, the ending was vague, and I had to force myself to finish reading.
Carrol Ann S. (Ventura, CA) (08/17/10)

The False Friend
Definitely thought provoking, causing you to look back to your school years, analyzing friendships and events and their affect on the adult you. The beginning of the story drew you in, but I soon felt let down and even though I wanted to continue reading, I was in no rush, happy when the end was in sight. Celia's interaction with Mommy and Daddy made me sad for her. There were several welcome surprises in the tale. I'm glad I read the book and would recommend it to anyone with a diverse reading list. It would be great for a book club selection.

• Book Jacket: The Romanovs

The Imperial Wife
    by Irina Reyn

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All