Read what people think about Beautiful Assassin by Michael C. White, and write your own review.

by Michael C. White

• Published in USA  Apr 2010

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Beautiful Assassin

Wendy R. (Riverside, CA) (04/05/10)

Highly Recommended
I have read quite a few books set during or around the Second World War, but never one quite like this, written from the perspective of a female Soviet sniper. It was what first drew me to it and especially intrigued me as I read. Tat'yana is a strong and complex character. I devoured every page of this novel anxious to see where her story would take me. Author Michael White captured the tensions and hardships of war, in particularly for the women who fought alongside the men, as well as the politics being played by the various sides, including the power struggle between the Allied Forces. Tat'yana was a pawn in a game and my heart ached for her. I will definitely be seeking out other books by this author.
Katharine K. (Alpine, CA) (04/01/10)

Enjoyable Read!
This is probably not a book I would have found on my own, based on the spy/war theme. I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this story. It isn't a "cliff hanger", action type book, but rather a well-developed story about one Russian woman caught up in both the despair and the politics of war. I think the author did a skilled job of presenting both the war experience and the bewildering politics of the time. I read this book slowly and carefully, and I enjoyed every page of the experience.
Jeff M. (Morris Plains, NJ) (03/26/10)

Beautiful Assassin -- Recommended
Really enjoyed the book “Beautiful Assassin”. Story keeps reader’s interest with a good blend of World War II history and great character development, especially the heroine, Tat’yana. You feel for her losses and her disdain for Soviet politics. The historical element is well researched (e.g., descriptions of NYC and Washington during the early part of the war compared to the horrors in Sevastopol) and coupled with real characters (the Roosevelts, Stalin, etc.) adds to the success of the story. Title may give a mixed reaction to some, but if they decide to get into the book, they will be rewarded. Recommended.
Chris G. (New Albany, Ohio) (03/23/10)

Beautiful Assassin
Tat'yana Levchenko is a sniper in the Red Army during 1942. She is the heroine of Michael C. White's "Beautiful Assassin", a WWII - era thriller.

Levchenko travels to America as a goodwill ambassador with a stated mission of obtaining financial support and materials for the U.S.S.R as well as to persuade FDR to open a 2nd front in Europe. The US is already fighting in the Pacific but the Europeans desperately need them to enter the war in Europe. Stalin and his secret police have another agenda - one that Tat'yana wants to ignore. Her only goal is to return home and continue killing the German soldiers who are battering her country.

FDR's wife, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt takes a liking to the young woman and she becomes the darling of the American press. Reluctantly, the beautiful sniper goes along with her espionage agent handler's demand that she spy on the first lady. In the end, Tat'yana must make a fateful choice involving an American army captain she's grown to love.

I found the first half the book much more enthralling then the second half. Levchenko's ethical dilemas about spying on Eleanor Roosevelt are interesting to a point but I found her romantic struggles after arriving in the U.S. to be a bit annoying. I struggle with women being made to appear too much the victim that you just want to shake them to snap them out of it or they are such a heavy that you find them annoying.

So for me this book was a struggle and only mildly enjoyable.
Sandy C. (Houston, TX) (03/20/10)

Mixed review
I have mixed feelings about this book. It was a bit slow moving and drawn out at times, yet fast paced in others. As a fan of historical fiction, I enjoyed the aspects of the story that highlighted the tensions between the U.S. and the Soviet Union during WWII as well as the insight into Eleanor Roosevelt’s personal life … although the friendship between Tat’yana and the First Lady as well as the interplay between Tat’yana and her superiors is a bit far-fetched and unbelievable at times. Overall, this book (for me) was just okay.
Marsha S. (Nags Head, NC) (03/19/10)

Beautiful Assassin
Beautiful Assassin is a fascinating tale that takes the reader on a journey from war-torn Europe to the United States before America had entered the fight in World War II. I really enjoyed the way it combines historical fact with fiction, and combines real-life characters with those in the story. Anyone who grew up in the 50's and 60's will find the accounts of espionage between the Soviet Union and the U.S. to be very believable and frightening. I was a bit troubled at the beginning of the book believing that the journalist researching Tat'yana's life would get her to talk so easily. But after reading the whole account, and reflecting what it must have been like to live most of one's adult life looking over the shoulder for fear of being found, I could see why she was able to do so. The book made me want to read more from this author.
Power Reviewer Nikki M. (Fort Wayne, IN) (03/17/10)

I kind of felt like I was reading a history book!
I really wanted to like this more than I did. The author did give enough information about the war to keep me interested, though just barely so. I just didn't connect with any of the characters, even the "Beautiful Assassin" herself. Overall, I found this to be a disappointing read.....
Sharon W. (Columbia, SC) (03/17/10)

Beautiful Assassin
This novel should be a rip-roaring good read. It is carefully written, the plot structure would get an A in a creative writing class, and the characters are dutifully developed. Michael White has done a good job of crafting his novel.That is where, however, this book gets into trouble.

All the good work is overshadowed by a lack of art. I wanted more tension, excitement, and suspense. After all, the main character was a rare creature in World War II Russia . . . an excellent female sniper. I wanted much more than I got and left this reading feeling frustrated and unfulfilled.

One Month Free Membership

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
    by Bryn Greenwood

A memorable coming-of-age tale about loyalty, defiance, and the power of love.

Ashes of Fiery Weather