Read what people think about Her by Harriet Lane, and write your own review.

Her

by Harriet Lane

Her by Harriet Lane X

• Published in USA  Jan 2015
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 46 reader reviews for Her

Cheryl K. (East Aurora, NY)

Her A Novel
This novel by Harriet Lane was difficult for me to get into, initially. Reading the alternating voices of Emma and Nina was confusing, but I became comfortable with the story and couldn't stop reading until I finished. It was a carefully constructed "mystery" with a very unsettling ending. It would be an interesting book for discussion.
Susan P. (Boston, MA)

HER
This deceptively calm novel is told in alternating voices -- by Nina, painter with a comfortable life, and Emma, a slightly younger former professional trying to cope with life with very young children. Nina knows Emma from many years ago and gets to know her again, but Emma is unaware of the connection. They become more acquainted, slowly, and each time it's obvious that Nina is not the nice new friend Emma thinks she is. As you get closer to the end, you know something is sneaking up on you as you become more aware of true sociopathy. The end leaves you jangled and wondering why: why no one knew, why such bad feelings. A lovely subtle and seemingly quiet thriller. For fans of S.J. Watson and Rosamund Lupton.
Angela J. (Highlands Ranch, CO)

Her by Harriet Lane
This is a really great, creepy thriller. Nina recognizes Emma on the street from when they were teenagers more than 20 years before, but Emma has no idea who Nina is. Nina then insinuates herself into Emma's life, by pretending to be friendly and kind, but with underhand, sinister motives. It's cleverly written in alternate chapters by Nina and Emma, and the tension builds slowly and effectively towards the end. The ending is a cliffhanger, which leaves you wondering what exactly happened.
Viqui G. (State College, PA)

HER
This was a WOW book as far as I was concerned. It was a carefully crafted suspense that I could not put down. Nina and Emma were very realistic characters with very different lives. The reader could empathize with both of their situations up to a certain point. But that NINA--what a clever stalker! We learn slowly but surely that she is out for revenge of some kind. However, she certainly weaves a very benign web of deception for Emma. Poor Emma is out of her element as Nina's ultimate plan of revenge is finally revealed.

The ending was one of those "up in the air, the reader can take it from there" endings. Somehow, that was OK with me. The beauty of this novel was the suspense and the growing anticipation of disaster that Harriet Lane creates. Loved it!
Diana C. (Delray Beach, FL)

A riveting, dark tale
This story follows two women, seemingly strangers, who are connected by an obscure life thread. The narrative alternates between each of the women's voices and interpretations after they meet somewhat randomly. I was riveted by the prose, as it draws you in from the first into what turns out to be a crash landing in the very last paragraph. I found I couldn't put it down, wanting desperately to know the outcome.
Rebecca J. (Knoxville, TN)

Her by Harriet Lane
I read many thrillers, but Her by Harriet Lane, was one I could not put down. Two women, with little in common to the reader, keep getting pulled together. Only one of them knows that there is a plan in place by that woman to infiltrate the other's life because of some traumatic event (at least to one of them) in the past. The suspense was such that I read this in one sitting. Although the ending was a tad far-fetched, it did not take away from my enjoyment of the read. Enjoy!
Pam M. (Lake Mary, FL)

Great plot, good build up
This was a great read that kept my interest piqued to the end. The back-and-forth-by-chapter method of character development and plot building was both unique and effective.
While you become aware that these two women know each other, only one of them is currently aware of a past relationship, but the details are not immediately clear. A constant question of whether a simple revisiting of history or a more menacing curiosity kept me intrigued, and the reason behind this interest in an old acquaintance remains a mystery until the last chapter.
However, I found the final wrapping up of loose ends in that last chapter to be less than satisfying, and am anxious now to read other reviews to see what I missed!
On a side note! the book cover of my copy was spot on. Both the title and author's name were duplicated in contrasting fonts in black on a solid dark red background. Perfect!
Mary Lou F. (Naples, FL)

Who Do You Trust?
This book is a page turner about supposed new friendships and old grievances (misunderstood or not). Very good way of dealing with the characters, each chapter dealing with the new main characters. We'll worth reading.

Join BookBrowse

The Prophet
    by Michael Koryta
    Hot diggity! How can you lose by reading a gritty whodunit about football, even if you're not a ...
  • Book Jacket: Dog Flowers
    Dog Flowers
    by Danielle Geller
    In Dog Flowers, Danielle Geller tells us what is wrong with her family: heavy drinking, abandonment,...
  • Book Jacket: The Sea Gate
    The Sea Gate
    by Jane Johnson
    In Jane Johnson's novel, The Sea Gate, set in England, readers are introduced to Becky, a young ...
  • Book Jacket: Stories from Suffragette City
    Stories from Suffragette City
    by M.J. Rose, Fiona Davis
    Our First Impressions readers were fascinated by the historical fiction from a range of authors ...

At the Edge of the Haight
    by Katherine Seligman

Winner of the 2019 PEN/Bellwether Prize for Socially Engaged Fiction.

The Narrowboat Summer
    by Anne Youngson

From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.

The Moment of Lift
by Melinda Gates
How can we summon a moment of lift for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity.

From the moment I picked your book up...

T M T C, T M T Stay T S