MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about The Quick by Lauren Owen, and write your own review.

by Lauren Owen

There are currently 38 reader reviews for The Quick

CarolK (07/07/14)

Debut Author to Watch
Lauren Owen has managed to take something old, the vampire myth and put her own spin on it. This debut horror tale held my interest but could have been tighter than its 500 pages. Not perfect but I'd like to see what else Ms. Owen has up her sleeve.
Laura M. (Roswell, NM) (05/27/14)

The Quick
This was a very interesting read. It was well-written and kept me guessing about what was going to happen next.
Mary G. (Purcellville, VA) (05/20/14)

Victorian vampire story
I wasn't sure I would even finish this book. I found the beginning slow and frustratingly disjointed. I persevered, however, and the story did pick up. Did I like this book? I am still not entirely sure.
Kenan R. (Liberty, MO) (05/09/14)

Meh
I am not a huge fan of this particular genre. That being said- I can enjoy and devour any story with engaging characters, vivid locations, and an intriguing plot. Sadly this story not only slogged through the 500 plus pages, it was bogged down by an over large cast of characters so sketchily presented it was difficult to keep track let alone care about them. There were multiple subplots so abruptly started and stopped as to be confusing and beg the question - "why are we being told this?" I made it through but it was rough and occasionally tedious. I was left feeling a book this long shouldn't have been so vague. The few plot twists that were interesting were never fully realized and as such unable to make up for the plodding pace of the narratives.
Sylvia J. (Los Angeles, CA) (05/08/14)

Quickly engrossing tale within a tale!
The Quick is a layered journey through Victorian London's high and low society. I truly enjoyed the book within a book within a book idea where we learned first about the main characters' early lives, then as they went on their separate ways. Along the way we witnessed the true love story turned undead nightmare with the Aegolius Club and the Mould vampire chronicles. This book hit every check mark to make it one of my favorite books- historical relevance, a great love story and fantastical/mystical/unforgettable characters. I won't soon forget The Quick and I hope there is a sequel to resolve those last questions that remain with the undead and those who fight to protect the living from them.
Alison F. (Clearwater, FL) (05/07/14)

Victorian London with twists and turns
Lauren Owen's The Quick is a well written and carefully plotted novel that pushes the edge of a couple of genres-historical fiction and supernatural. It starts out as almost a coming of age story of a poet/playwright and takes a sudden about face and leads you on an exploration of London and various groups at odds with one another, with some memorable characters. It jumped around a bit more than I like but in all I became very vested in Miss Norbury and her quest and those who try to help. It was a fun read and would be appreciated by Anglophiles, YA readers, and gothic fiction fans alike.
Martha D. (Poway, CA) (05/05/14)

The Quick by Lauren Owen
I've recently come back to Gothic novels. I used to love them when I was younger but lost interest but now I'm back. The Quick is a good starter to come back. It's a nice low and slow burn, building on interesting characters, who I rooted for and couldn't wait to find out what happened.

The Quick is well worth the read and a good example of a Gothic novel.
Elise B. (Macedonia, OH) (05/05/14)

The Quick
The Quick transports you directly to London England, in the late 1800s. This book will appeal to anybody who enjoys historical fiction with a supernatural twist. Readers who aren't strong fans of the vampire genre of books will even enjoy this book. If vampires did exist – this would be their story. I was, however, disappointed in the ending of The Quick. It rambled on long after the main story line was complete.

• Book Jacket: The Never-Open Desert Diner
    The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vanishing Velazquez
    The Vanishing Velazquez
    by Laura Cumming
    Author Laura Cumming spins out a tale of obsession and ruin in her latest book, The Vanishing Vel&#...
    The Fair Fight
    by Anna Freeman
    Anna Freeman's debut novel, The Fair Fight, highlights the world of boxing in England during ...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

H Now B C?