MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about The Quick by Lauren Owen, and write your own review.

by Lauren Owen

There are currently 38 reader reviews for The Quick

CarolK (07/07/14)

Debut Author to Watch
Lauren Owen has managed to take something old, the vampire myth and put her own spin on it. This debut horror tale held my interest but could have been tighter than its 500 pages. Not perfect but I'd like to see what else Ms. Owen has up her sleeve.
Laura M. (Roswell, NM) (05/27/14)

The Quick
This was a very interesting read. It was well-written and kept me guessing about what was going to happen next.
Mary G. (Purcellville, VA) (05/20/14)

Victorian vampire story
I wasn't sure I would even finish this book. I found the beginning slow and frustratingly disjointed. I persevered, however, and the story did pick up. Did I like this book? I am still not entirely sure.
Kenan R. (Liberty, MO) (05/09/14)

Meh
I am not a huge fan of this particular genre. That being said- I can enjoy and devour any story with engaging characters, vivid locations, and an intriguing plot. Sadly this story not only slogged through the 500 plus pages, it was bogged down by an over large cast of characters so sketchily presented it was difficult to keep track let alone care about them. There were multiple subplots so abruptly started and stopped as to be confusing and beg the question - "why are we being told this?" I made it through but it was rough and occasionally tedious. I was left feeling a book this long shouldn't have been so vague. The few plot twists that were interesting were never fully realized and as such unable to make up for the plodding pace of the narratives.
Sylvia J. (Los Angeles, CA) (05/08/14)

Quickly engrossing tale within a tale!
The Quick is a layered journey through Victorian London's high and low society. I truly enjoyed the book within a book within a book idea where we learned first about the main characters' early lives, then as they went on their separate ways. Along the way we witnessed the true love story turned undead nightmare with the Aegolius Club and the Mould vampire chronicles. This book hit every check mark to make it one of my favorite books- historical relevance, a great love story and fantastical/mystical/unforgettable characters. I won't soon forget The Quick and I hope there is a sequel to resolve those last questions that remain with the undead and those who fight to protect the living from them.
Alison F. (Clearwater, FL) (05/07/14)

Victorian London with twists and turns
Lauren Owen's The Quick is a well written and carefully plotted novel that pushes the edge of a couple of genres-historical fiction and supernatural. It starts out as almost a coming of age story of a poet/playwright and takes a sudden about face and leads you on an exploration of London and various groups at odds with one another, with some memorable characters. It jumped around a bit more than I like but in all I became very vested in Miss Norbury and her quest and those who try to help. It was a fun read and would be appreciated by Anglophiles, YA readers, and gothic fiction fans alike.
Martha D. (Poway, CA) (05/05/14)

The Quick by Lauren Owen
I've recently come back to Gothic novels. I used to love them when I was younger but lost interest but now I'm back. The Quick is a good starter to come back. It's a nice low and slow burn, building on interesting characters, who I rooted for and couldn't wait to find out what happened.

The Quick is well worth the read and a good example of a Gothic novel.
Elise B. (Macedonia, OH) (05/05/14)

The Quick
The Quick transports you directly to London England, in the late 1800s. This book will appeal to anybody who enjoys historical fiction with a supernatural twist. Readers who aren't strong fans of the vampire genre of books will even enjoy this book. If vampires did exist – this would be their story. I was, however, disappointed in the ending of The Quick. It rambled on long after the main story line was complete.

• Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo

If I Forget You
    by Thomas Christopher Greene

A haunting tale of lost love from the critically acclaimed author of The Headmaster's Wife.

A Certain Age
    by Beatriz Williams

The Roaring Twenties comes to life in this tale of intrigue, romance, and scandal.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

It is always darkest just before the day dawneth

C To T Q