Read what people think about Through the Evil Days by Julia Spencer-Fleming, and write your own review.

Through the Evil Days

Genre: Noir

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Through the Evil Days

Joan Emerson

Through the Evil Days, by Julia Spencer-Fleming
The story of “Through the Evil Days” spins out over one week in the lives of our favorite Millers Kill residents, all of whom face daunting challenges and inner apprehension as they are thrown into situations fraught with emotional upheaval. While Russ and Clare struggle to come to grips with her unexpected pregnancy, Clare once again finds herself at odds with the bishop and Russ is caught up in an unexpected issue with the aldermen. The department’s investigation of an early-morning house fire that has claimed the life of two people quickly takes an even more ominous turn when a kidnapping is revealed. Officers Hadley Knox and Kevin Flynn are thrown together in the investigation, forcing them to cope with difficult moments and tough decisions even as Mother Nature unleashes the ice storm of the century, stranding Russ and Clare in an isolated cabin at the lake where they have gone for their long-delayed honeymoon. With the dangerous Adirondack storm knocking out communications, closing roads, and bringing daily life to a virtual standstill, nerves are frayed, tension is running high, and the clock is ticking . . . .

Julia Spencer-Fleming’s eagerly-awaited eighth installment of the Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series doesn’t disappoint. Here we find all the elements we’ve come to expect from her books: a tightly-crafted story that puts the reader right in the middle of a multi-layered mystery, exploration and insight into personal relationships, life-changing reveals and decisions. The story teems with excitement, offering up enough twists and turns along the way to keep the reader eagerly page-turning; as always, there are a few gut-wrenching “wow . . . I never saw that coming” moments to ratchet up the turmoil. It’s a powerful, emotional, can’t-put-it-down masterpiece that will keep readers on the edge of their seats right to the very last word. A highly recommended, satisfying read worthy of far more than five stars . . . don’t miss this one.
Mary M. (Lexington, KY)

Thriller
This book was an edge of your seat, can't put it down thriller. The characters were interesting and complex and even though I was new to the series I was able to understand them. My only criticism of the book is that I could have done without the slightly graphic sex. I just didn't see the need for it. The book is a thriller not a romance novel. The best compliment I can give is that I plan to read the other books in the series.
Power Reviewer Shyeyes

Not too cold!
This is not just another mystery by Julia Spencer-Fleming! Priest Clare Fergusson and Police Chief Russ van Alstyne have finally married, as Clare is pregnant. They are called out in the middle of the night to an arson call, that quickly becomes a murder scene. Add the cold, the blizzard, and a kidnapping and you have the making of a great murder suspense novel, and that is what you will get. It was well written, the characters are believable, and the novel flows well. Enjoy!
Toni K. (Memphis, TN)

Old Friends and Winter
After having read all the books in this series, I was looking forward to the continuation of the series. I was not disappointed. This book had several plot lines going on and I enjoyed all the lines and how they contributed to the complexity of the book. I loved that Claire is pregnant and Russ is conflicted, but not in his love for Claire. I like books that include the weather as another impact to the book and Julia never forgot the weather in this one! As my son is a vet who spent time in Iraq, I appreciate Claire's struggle with PTSD. This was possibly the best of the series!
Beth P. (Chester, VA)

Sure did miss you Guys!!
Julia Spencer-Fleming's newest novel, "Through The Evil Days" brings back her fans' beloved crime solving couple, Episcopal Priest Clare Fergusson and and Police Chief of Millers-Kill, Russ Van Alstyne. Having read a few of the earlier books, I realized quickly that I had missed a few. Her prior books developed the unexpected relationship between Clare and Russ while at the same time gave you a mystery with top notch twists and turns. This book does not disappoint. The characters have come a long way from where I left them. Newly married and expecting their first child, the excitement in their life has not ended. A kidnapping in the small town turns into a full blown mystery that leaves you feeling you know these two characters even better than before. For me, her character development is the biggest attraction, making me want to get back and read the books I missed. Don't you miss this book, if fact, get her first Clare and Russ book, get comfy, and don't expect to get anything done!!
Helen M. (Petaluma, CA)

Julia nails it.....
I have read each and every book in this series. In my humble opinion, this one is by far the best. It takes place in about a week in the freezing blizzards of the mid-west. It opens with a tense situation and Julia adds more tensions until she has several stories developing. She is masterful at this. Truly, this one is a page turner. She exposes the humanness of her of her characters, where they are so fragile, she allows them to fall and getup again. Forgiveness is another theme.
If you like mysteries that are so very well written, read this one by Julia Spencer-Fleming.
Louise Penny's latest is very, very good but Julia is just as good!
This book is for mystery lovers, plain and simple.
Norman G. (Washougal, WA)

Excellent novel
I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of this story The characterizations came through as very believable, the story line continually advanced, the locales had color, and I appreciated the human qualities of the an Episcopal priest as the heroine. This is the second by this author I have read and will look forward to the next installment as the last few pages left an unresolved but unfortunately realistic quality to several of the minor players.
Andrea S. (Lafayette, IN)

Another great entry in this series
I have read all of Julia Spencer-Fleming's Clare Fergusson series and have loved every one. This one was a little faster paced and less spiritual than others, but I could hardly put it down. I do think that it helps to have read the others because then you have a history with the characters. But this could stand alone as well. Clare is a complex character with an interesting past, and the author's depictions of small town upstate New York add to her complexity. I highly recommend the whole series-this one is number 8, and yes, they often leave plot lines hanging-not the major one, but ones that run from book to book!

• Book Jacket: Hunger