Read what people think about And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman, and write your own review.

by Laura Lippman

And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman X
And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman

• Published in USA  Aug 2012
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 34 reader reviews for And When She Was Good

Darcy C. (San Diego, CA)

Got To Look Out For Yourself
This was a really good read! I was able to get wrapped up in the protagonist: Heloise. She was believable and a real fighter. This book is no "Pretty Woman" -- similar only in the fact that she's a prostitute. She realizes at a young age that she shouldn’t rely on others for help because they usually disappoint. (This part I could relate to!) Now she has a young son who she must also look after. She gets into real-life situations, where some of the people she encounters are truly awful. We have all been around people like that. I could understand her and found myself "pulling for her" to get out of some of her more precarious situations. I admired her business acumen and wonder if I could have been as ingenious as she was. She knows what people think of her and she’s got more common sense than any of the others who judge her. She’s a fighter - and even better - she has moxie! I like Heloise an awful lot and I think other readers will too. If Hollywood didn't ruin most of the good stories out there - I would love to see this turned into a movie. I will settle for this book, and hope(!) that I will get the chance to read more about Heloise and how the rest of her life turns out.
Julia E. (Atlanta, GA)

Laura Lippman: And When She Was Good
Award-winning mystery novelist, Laura Lippman, has delivered another winner. Deftly, Lippman lures the reader into the morally murky world of a suburban Madam known variously as Helen-Heloise-Hel. Just like any suburban Mom, Helen is out to protect and provide for her son, only here the dangers are far more deadly than over-baking cookies for the PTA meeting--Helen is possibly being stalked by a revengeful killer. The reader is ever on the side of this resourceful, ambitious woman who, having been dealt a lousy hand in the game of life, plays her cards with skill and courage: one concurs that when Helen was good, she was very, very good,but when she was bad she understandably could be horrid. And therein lies the fascination of this masterfully written mystery novel.
Cheryl K. (East Aurora, NY)

Great Read!
Laura Lippman has given me so many pleasurable reading experiences, and this one was certainly as enjoyable. Although the main character, Heloise, at first glance appears weak and easily manipulated, she transcends all the negatives that have shaped her life and emerges intact. I love Ms. Lippman's characters....the good, the bad and the horrible. There would be many discussion points for a book club and I would definitely recommend this book to mine.
Aleksandra E. (Alpharetta, GA)

An absolutely riveting read!
I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of this book. It grips you from the very beginning & is a bonafide page-turner that I could not manage to put down. A thrilling and compelling read that'll hook you until the final pages. A definitely must read for anyone who enjoys a well done thriller.
Cathy W. (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA)

Great Summer Read
Laura Lippman’s intricately plotted crime stories delve into the psychological motivations of the characters. My favorite is What the Dead Know, but And When She Was Good is right up there with a menacing storyline that presents such flawed characters that you sometimes want to shake them to make them understand how foolishly they are behaving. This is another page-turner that will keep you up way past your bedtime.
Wendy H.

And When She Was Good
A thought-provoking stand alone from Laura Lippman. Helen/Heloise is a Starbucks swilling, Maryland suburban “Madam” who wants nothing more than for her young son to wake up every day knowing he is loved and safe, something she never had. The storyline jumps back and forth in time which builds the suspense of the novel, and Lippman does a good job of keeping the transitions smooth. The character of Helen/Heloise is very well drawn and quite complex.

This is a perfect book mystery club selection, especially with the very polarizing topics of should we decriminalize prostitution and is prostitution a victimless crime?
Carol G. (Little Egg Harbor, NJ)

And When She Was Good
I love Laura L's books and this does not disapoint!

The book is well written and explores a subject that is often avoided.

I immediately bonded with the character which is important to me when reading a book; I was unable to put the book down and read it in 2 sittings.

I have read most of Laura's books and I highly recommend them to my book club and friends.

I look forward to her next book and am very grateful that I was chosen to read this book for review.

I hope the author comes to southern NJ in the near future as I would love to meet her.
Brenda S. (Grand Rapids, MN)

I Didn't Want It to End
Few books are written that you actually want to take on vacation. Laura Lippman has given us books in the past that are quite good and this one is no exception. I was reading at a good pace, and then slowed down because I didn't want it to end. When you can read a story and feel the emotion from all sides, even anger at the protagonist at times, it is a good story. I was surprised that the story was as current as it was with events that seemed to have occurred just yesterday. Dear Laura: please keep these books coming.

• Book Jacket: The Story of Arthur Truluv
    by Louise Erdrich

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

Strangers in Budapest
    by Jessica Keener

When an old man dies, a library burns to the ground.

E Dog H I D