Read what people think about Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton, and write your own review.

by Rosamund Lupton

Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton X
Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

• Published in USA  Apr 2012
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Afterwards

Roni S. (Pittsburgh, PA)

Afterwards
I read and enjoyed Rosamund Lupton’s first book, “Sister.” “Afterwards” is a beautifully written thriller mystery that graps you from the first page. The book explores family relationships. You care about the characters. It is written from an “out of body” view as the main character is unconscious in the hospital but able to leave her body and travel. I am not fond of science fiction but enjoyed reading this book. It is similar to “Lovely Bones.” I look forward to reading the author’s next book.
Mary M. (Lexington, KY)

Fascinating
This book was similar to "The Lovely Bones" but much better. It combines a mystery that will keep you guessing till the end with a story about a family and a mother's love for her children. Having the mother who is in a coma narrate the story makes the book unusual in a good way. The descriptions of how the mother and daughter feel as they move about outside their bodies are very imaginative and well written. I really enjoyed the book and plan to recommend to my friends.
Elly M. (Roswell, NM)

Afterward
This is a compelling novel that captures interest at the prologue's first line and never lets go. The use of a first person "semi-spirit" voice from our protagonist personalized all of the novel's "residents", pulling the reader well into their world.
"Afterwards" is an emotional and thrilling account of family and friends and tragedy and love...a mystery that prods one to keep the pages turning. It not only brings us to an unpredictable climax, but gives birth to thoughts about which we all wonder as we approach the "afterwards".
I would, and have, recommended it to many friends.
Corinne S. (Paoli, PA)

Afterwards
Rosamund Lupton, author of (Sister, 2011), begins the book with thick black smoke billowing from, the British private school, Sidley House, where Grace’s son, Adam, attends. While most of the students are outside for “sports day,” Grace realizes that she does not see her daughter, Jenny, who is the student assistant in the nurse’s office for sports day. Jenny is still in the school! The tension and anxiety escalates as Grace races across the lawn and plunges into the burning building to save Jenny. Now, you are hooked and begin turning the pages to find out if Grace can save Jenny. Next, Grace wakes up in a hospital and is unable to move or open her eyes. Lupton, uses and out-of-body experience for Grace to investigate what happened. During Graces search for the truth, she sees Jenny’s spirit hovering in the same state, and has found out from eavesdropping, the fire was arson not an accident. The paranormal observation is similar to Alice Seabold’s book “The Lovely Bones.” The ability to move around the hospital and investigate the arson with Jenny allows Grace to reflect on the mother-daughter relationship, family, best friends, and just how far are you willing to go to save your child’s life, which reminds me of Lisa Scottoline’s book “Save Me.” You will partner with Grace and Jenny as you speed through this excellent read in search of the arsonist. Book groups will enjoy discussing this book.
Marylou C. (Fountain HIls, AZ)

Believe in Out of Body.....or Not
If you are unsure about out of body experiences, this author will challenge you to decide. Compelling is not a strong enough word, as once you start the book, her style and cadence will not let you put it down. A great “Book Club” book as it will promote a very lively discussion. This book can bring you to tears, laughter and deep thoughts. You will have a problem putting it down
Darcy C. (San Diego, CA)

A Great Mystery Story - Plus More!
When I started to read this book, my first thought was “…. A Lovely Bones influence, but can Lupton keep it believable?” I must say: Yes. This was a terrific book! If you are thinking it’s an “angel” book, stop right there. This is a murder-mystery, a story of a mother-daughter bond and the tribulations a family goes through AND hangs together during the toughest of times. The reading is very quick and I found myself thinking of the book when I had quiet times during my day. I wanted to find out what happens next. The mark of a very good story, if you ask me. OK, some may be able to predict the ending, but, “Who Cares?” It doesn’t detract from a great story that never lost its footing. I thoroughly enjoyed this book! 5 Stars from San Diego.
Joan N. (Evanston, IL)

Beautiful and Sad
A beautiful and sad book that I couldn’t put down. A woman and her teenaged daughter are badly burned in a school fire. While in the hospital, they get together in an out-of-body experience to solve the mystery of the fire and why and how it happened. A very moving story about love and loss.
Kristen H. (Lowell, MA)

Wow!
"Afterwards" was captivating from the beginning with lots of suspense. I loved this book because it never once gave away who did it and it told another story within that story of just how far a mother is willing to go to save her daughter.

• Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund