Read what people think about Losing Clementine by Ashley Ream, and write your own review.

Losing Clementine

by Ashley Ream

Losing Clementine by Ashley Ream

• Published in USA  Mar 2012

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Losing Clementine

Carrie W. (Arcanum, OH)

Loosing Clementine
I enjoyed this book, very much. Clementine, has much to deal with, her life is much like many of us, confused, painful, often lonely. We find comfort in the most unlikely places as did Clementine. I'm looking froward to more books from this author.
Brenda S. (Grand Rapids, MN)

Prepare for Some Morbid Fun
Ashley Ream is now my new BFF. What a fantastic read she created with "Losing Clementine". This book is the most fun you can have while turning pages...a truly laugh-out-loud story of a macabre subject. Everyone has had challenges in life, this book may help you organize said life for the resolution you want...and have a good time doing it. Kudos to Ashley for the most entertaining book I've read in months.
Betsy A. (Lady Lake, FL)

A Clever Premise
Not many could take the subject of impending suicide and come up with a "page turner", but that's exactly what this first time author has done. The plot thickens, the witty dialogue sparkles, the pithy descriptions are such fun. I really liked the pace of the novel and the clever idea of using one chapter for every day in the protagonist's last month of life. I'd categorize this as a "chick-book" and caution readers not to look for too much in the way of symbolism or universal insights. It's fun reading in the style of a Janet Evanovich novel.
Shirley D. (Amherst, MA)

LOSING CLEMENTINE
I loved Clementine from the very first page. I had been a little apprehensive knowing that this charming girl was sick enough to commit suicide. Initially I did think it was her illness that was prompting her to wrap up the loose ends of her life. While she made me laugh as she got rid of that tea set, deliberately punished the driver who left his car in the way and dumped her meds (I cheered at that) but I was so entranced, was so much a part of this woman’s life that I wept as she had to find a new home for her cat. I truly forgot that I was reading fiction so skillfully was I taken from laughter to an aching sympathy and to tears .I think Clementine is one of those literary personalities I will never forget and I have been reading and meeting characters for over 70 years. This is a very special piece of work to fit into that category.
Janet P. (Houston, TX)

Losing Clementine ? No-o-way!
Ashley Ream's Clementine in her novel LOSING CLEMENTINE does what every woman wants to do at one time in her life: she eats everything she wants without guilt, dumps her kitchen ware out the window, and, in her despondency over a failed marriage, almost whispers goodbye to life on schedule, in thirty days to be exact in her case.. Her wry sense of dark humor aimed at her own weaknesses offers the reader plenty of food for thought. The novel is not "literature," but it's great reading.
avid (Springfield, IL)

don't let the subject matter turn you off
How can a book about the narrator's impending suicide make you laugh? Ashley Ream pulls it off with her sharp wit and incredible voice. There are life lessons here, but so much humor, you don't really realize it 'til the end. What a great read!
Beth M. (Scarsdale, NY)

A compulsive read you don't want to end
I loved this book. Clementine is a wonderfully drawn character, full of flaws but heartbreakingly sane. She's made a decision to end her life and just wants to finish a few things. However, life intrudes and her journey is wonderful. The story is bold and funny and you find yourself identifying with many of her thoughts and actions. This is a great read!!!!
Power Reviewer Joan V. (Miller Place, NY)

Losing Clementine
If “Clementine” is as good an artist as Ms. Ream is an author she must be terrific. This was a very interesting look into the human psyche, and written in a realistic way, but also very funny. You are immediately swept up into the story because you have so many questions. Right up front: Will she really kill herself? Then: why is she on all the meds? Will she meet her father? and other questions.

Ms. Reams uses a lot of description and I found it to be cinematic, I think the book would make an excellent movie. Once in awhile however, she changes scenes too suddenly but the reader quickly catches up with the story.

There is also a surprising twist that you never see coming. In a book like this predictable would be awful.

I definitely would recommend this book to a friend and think it would be interesting for a book club discussion. I look forward to reading another book by Ms. Ream.

• Book Jacket: Before We Sleep