Read what people think about All the Flowers in Shanghai by Duncan Jepson, and write your own review.

All the Flowers in Shanghai

by Duncan Jepson

All the Flowers in Shanghai by Duncan Jepson

• Published in USA  Dec 2011

There are currently 24 reader reviews for All the Flowers in Shanghai

Terri M. (Jacksonville, FL)

Fascinating!
I love stories from other cultures, especially ones that follow the life of a central character and are historical in nature. All the Flowers in Shanghai was all of that and more. The book follows the life of Feng "the second daughter". From the minute I picked it up, I couldn't put it down, I had to find out what was happening to Feng and how she would handle it. So well written, I was sorry to see it end.
Susan P. (Boston, MA)

All the Flowers in Shanghai
A very enlightening story of an innocent young woman exposed to privilege but against her will. Can be enjoyed by anyone interested in the place of girls and women in pre-WWII and in the Cultural Revolution that follows. Enjoyable but heartbreaking as well. Oddly, though, flowers per se as a theme seems a bit inchoate but it didn't detract.
Jacquelyn H. (Blanco, TX)

BRINGS HISTORY ALIVE
ALL THE FLOWERS IN SHANGHAI brings history alive in a spellbinding tale of Shanghai in the 30's to the time of the revolution. Feng, a sympathetic young girl, makes mistake after mistake after being caught in an unexpected arranged marriage while totally unprepared for the life she must lead. The book is a fine read that gives a solid overview of historical perspective.
Margaret M. (Chicago, IL)

The flowers of shanghai
This is a fun read that keeps your interest. I became Interested in Xiao Feng and her life. I felt I knew her!
This is a fun and informative story. It is a fast read.
The story includes mysteries and cultural information about the Chinese family before and after the revolution and at the same time is an interesting and captivating, particularly to women.
Patricia M. (Davidson, North Carolina)

A Mesmerizing Book
This beautifully written book could be categorized as Historical Fiction. I couldn't wait to read it each day. It depicts the Chinese people during a time before the Revolution. A very intimate portrayal and the reader becomes immersed in their everyday lives. The author brings you right into the story. I shed a tear when I finished the book as I didn't want it to end.
Sara S. (Murfreesboro, TN)

Moving
All the Flowers in Shanghai was a thoughtful book that displays the impact of one's environment. Feng's character is a complex yet naive woman, who eventually breaks through her imposed shell.

I appreciated reading this book, and look forward to more from this author. The subtle beauty was divine...
Martha D. (Poway, CA)

An interesting veiw into the past.
I have been interested in historical fiction for some time now and this was a interesting look into a period China I found fascinating. I found myself staying awake to find out what would happen. If you're looking for a look into another time and another place this book will take you there. A completely enjoyable read.
Beverly K. (Lockport, IL)

All The Flowers In Shanghai
I was fascinated by the microscopic details Jepson was able to provide concerning the life of a young Chinese woman in 1930's Shanghai. I wished I felt more sympathy for the lead character Feng. Her deep sense of duty forces her into a loveless marriage and that leads to even more tragic circumstances. I was hoping against hope Feng would defy her family and seek her own destiny, but I realize Jepson's storyline bore the truth for many women during that time period.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: The Blind
    The Blind
    by A.F. Brady
    In The Blind, A. F. Brady, a licensed psychotherapist, takes readers inside a residential ...
  • Book Jacket: The Rules of Magic
    The Rules of Magic
    by Alice Hoffman
  • Book Jacket: Good Me Bad Me
    Good Me Bad Me
    by Ali Land

To Capture What We Cannot Keep by Beatrice Colin

This love story set against the construction of the Eiffel Tower is "vibrant and transportive." (Bustle)

Seven Days of Us
    by Francesca Hornak

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F