Read what people think about The Look of Love by Mary Jane Clark, and write your own review.

The Look of Love

A Piper Donovan Mystery

by Mary Jane Clark

• Published in USA  Jan 2012
    Genre: Noir

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Look of Love

Barbara K. (Brooklyn, NY)

The Look of Love by Mary Jane Clark
This pleasant, fast paced, nicely detailed book was a 'quick read' that offered a view into the world of spas, Hollywood, plastic surgery, a monastery and the art of baking. There was also a mystery to solve and clues were interspersed throughout. The characters were realistic, especially the relationships between fathers and daughters. There is also an emphasis on how some women view their appearances in often unrealistic ways, giving the reader something to think about.
Baking details, plus a recipe are an added bonus.
This story flowed so smoothly that reading it was a 'mini vacation.' I would recommend it as a fun, escape novel.
Cheryl D. (Angola, NY)

Pleasant review
This book is a pleasant review. The main character decorates cakes, but she gets to travel among the rich and famous while she is doing it. It doesn't seem as the wedding will ever happen. The only weakness I saw was a repetition in the plots of the two books in the series.
Elizabeth K. (glenshaw, PA)

The Look of Love
It was a pleasure to revisit with Piper Donovan. This time she is off to Los Angeles to make a wedding cake for the Director of Elysium, a world renown Spa owned by her plastic surgeon father. The added bonus is a free plane ticket and accommodations at the spa. There can't be a Piper Donovan novel without a murder and mystery. Although this was a fast paced easy read, it makes one ponder having elective plastic surgery.
Barbara C. (Lincolnshire, IL)

The Look of Love by Mary Jane Clark
The book was good but not great. It was very slow moving and a little predicable. I wouldn't say you had to read or buy it. I knew who the murderer was after a few chapters. I've read some of her other books and they were much better.
Kimberly B. (Atlanta, GA)

A Grown-Up Nancy Drew
I have not been into mystery novels since I was an adolescent hoarding Nancy Drew mystery books like they were going to disappear; But alas The Look of Love; A Piper Donovan Mystery has reawakened my youthful curiosity and my desire for mystery and intrigue!

The book was fast-paced and well-written, rich in detail and very vivid. I tore through the pages to get to the end to figure it all out, making many assumptions and theories along the way!

My only issue is at times, the overwhelming discussion of the "rich" became monotonous and some of the characters were under-developed. It is impossible to give any more detail without spoiling the book, so I am going to say- READ IT, you will not be disappointed!!

I am officially a fan and I look forward to reading other Piper Donovan Mysteries.
Terrie J. (Eagan, MN)

The Look of Love was a fun read
I really enjoyed The Look of Love. It was a fun light hearted mystery and reminded me of reading Agatha Christie. There were many characters and while reading I wasn't sure which one was the "bad guy" - many of them could have been. I look forward to reading another Piper Donovan mystery.
Power Reviewer Dorothy T.

Average mystery
This is a mystery that just fills the basic requirements of the formula: several likely candidates as the murderer, the heroine in peril at the climax, and a tease of a romance. I knew who not to suspect, because the most likely characters are never the perpetrators in these things. I had hopes that the central character, Piper Donovan, was going to prove to be a modern-day Nancy Drew, but she didn't seem interested in putting together any clues other than how to make frosting. The romance angle was disappointing--maybe the author has ideas for this in the next installment?

Over all, this is entertainment for the dentist's waiting room, or maybe while relaxing by the pool at your favorite spa.
Lisa R. (Salem, OR)

New Author For Me
This book was an easy, light read. I had not read this author before, and had a little bit of trouble getting into the story, but that could be because it wasn't the first book in the set. And to be honest, sometimes I can revisit a book later, and like it much more. I think I will read the previous book and see if that enhances the story for me.

Smoke
    by Dan Vyleta
  • Book Jacket: Golden Hill
    Golden Hill
    by Francis Spufford
  • Book Jacket: Midnight at the Electric
    Midnight at the Electric
    by Jodi Lynn Anderson
    The world changes, but humanity stays the same. Whether a book takes place in the year 1510 or 2010,...

Win The Library of Light and Shadow