Read what people think about The Sisters by Nancy Jensen, and write your own review.

by Nancy Jensen

The Sisters by Nancy Jensen

• Published in USA  Oct 2012

There are currently 23 reader reviews for The Sisters

Carol G. (Little Egg Harbor, NJ)

The Sisters
A very complex and moving novel that led me to reflect on my own family and my own life and how my life was shaped by those decisions. The reader is drawn into this story deeper and deeper, when nothing turns out as planned for the sisters, stemming from the first misunderstanding!

This extraordinary novel of two sisters and their families spanning over eighty years is one not to be missed and would be a wonderful discussion book for my book club.

This book will stay in your thoughts long after yo have read the last page. I look forward to reading future novels from Nancy Jensen.
Diane W. (Lake Villa, IL)

The Sisters
First books, I believe, are often an author's best as they seem to be the culmination of many years of thought, reflection, and craft. This book did not disappoint me in that opinion: complex and varied characters; sound writing of a tale of family dynamics, secrets; paths taken vs. not taken; decisions made and the consequences that follow. Would definitely be a good choice for complex discussions and strong opinions in a women's book club or group. Recommended!
Mary M. (Lexington, KY)

Touching Story
I really enjoyed this book. I waited a few days after finishing it to write this because I wanted to see if I felt the same way after some time had passed. I can say that the characters and their stories are going to stay with me for some time. It is a very well written book. I would recommend it to book clubs. There are many issues that could be discussed. It is interesting to see how the lives of the sisters and their children change over 80 years. This is a wonderful book.
Carm D. (Omaha, NE)

The Sisters by Nancy Jensen
This was an excellent and interesting story about how one miscommunication can affect the lives of so many generations. I found it compelling and could hardly put it down. The characters were well developed and I especially liked Alma and her courage. I recommend this highly.
Jean T. (Paducah, KY)

The Sisters
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author conveyed a deep sensitivity and connection with the emotional threads that bound and separated the members of this family. I hated having to put the book down and at the close of each chapter looked forward to rejoining that character when next we met. I think this will be an excellent choice for book clubs, generating significant discussion.
Cheryl K. (East Aurora, NY)

The Sisters: A Life Lesson
I was enthralled with this novel from the first chapter, mainly because I identified so closely with the women and their history. The characters were real; their actions, interaction and secrets held my attention throughout. I did find it a bit confusing to keep track of the entire Fischer family, and frequently referred to the family tree in the front of the book. The outcome may not be what I would have hoped for, but it fit the story perfectly. What a wonderful book for book clubs to read and discuss. I have already recommended it to others.
Mary B. (St Paul, MN)

Sisters
The story begins in the 1920's and follows the lives of two sisters and their families throughout the years. It touches on families and family secrets and the heartbreak and joy involved in both. I enjoyed the book very much. Each generation had their own story to tell, often painful, but also hopeful . It would make a great bookclub read.
Joyce K. (Conway, Arkansas)

The Sisters
This is a book that really made me think about how family dynamics shape our lives in so many ways. The story opens with two sisters who live rather desperate lives in a small town in Kentucky. The older one makes a radical choice to protect her younger sister. What results from that choice is a lifetime of separation. The younger sister develops deep rooted bitterness that just seems to perpetuate itself with the next generation. In addition to being a story of family, it is also a story of American women over the decades. The thought I kept having was how grateful I am to have lived my life in a time that women could make choices about education, professions, marriage,and birth control. There was a great deal of misery in this book, some caused by poor choices; at other times the lack of any choice. But the most compelling thing that keeps drawing the characters of this book together is the bonds of family and their love for one another. I think that is what we all hope we have with family. That is the reward the reader is able to experience from reading this book.

• Book Jacket: Midwinter Break

Love and Other Consolation Prizes
    by Jamie Ford

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E