Read what people think about The Most Dangerous Thing by Laura Lippman, and write your own review.

by Laura Lippman

The Most Dangerous Thing by Laura Lippman

• Published in USA  Aug 2011
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 33 reader reviews for The Most Dangerous Thing

Samantha H. (Golden, CO) (08/29/11)

Good potential but disappointing delivery
The Most Dangerous Thing started out with a promising story-line. At first I was drawn in to the tale of a group friends, but kept being annoyed by constant narration switch from third person to 1st, often in the same paragraph. My sympathy/interest in the characters fell away as the book progressed. It seemed like the book ended abruptly, as if the author had reached a page limit, and needed to wrap things up quickly. I found this book disappointing -- it had a good premise, but the delivery did not live up to my expectations.
Deborah C. (Seattle, WA) (08/28/11)

Not Laura Lippman's Best
Although I am a huge fan of Laura Lippman's Tess Monaghan books, I did not really enjoy this stand alone. The plot was fairly interesting, but I found the repeated shifts of perspective distracting. Because the story was told from the standpoints of so many different characters, none of whom were especially likable, I never really became attached to any of the characters or particularly cared what happened to them.

As always, however, Lippman paints a wonderful picture of life in Baltimore--reading her books always makes me want to visit the city!
Stefani H. (Richmond, VT) (08/28/11)

We are our own worst enemy
This is the first Laura Lippman book I have read so I didn't know what to expect. I enjoyed reading a book that gave such an insightful journey through the human experience. The crime was secondary to the characters in this book. I liked it being character driven by people whose depth and own personal discoveries throughout the book kept me wanting more. I think there is a lot to discuss in this book that book clubs would enjoy talking about. Especially people looking at their life and choices from different ages.
Dorothy S. (Hendersonville, NC) (08/26/11)

Secrets, lies, dangerous things!
This is my first Lippman read, and I was not disappointed. Family dynamics, intrigue and a whole gamut of emotional responses: this book had it all. I was, however, a bit confused by the continual shift of focus, not only among characters, but also between past and present. It was challenging to read and probably even more so, challenging to write. Kudos to Laura Lippman.
Christine P. (San Francisco, CA) (08/25/11)

The Most Dangerous Thing
Throughout this book there is a secret that is alluded to again and again. I really think the secret is something that changed as I read farther and farther into the book. Laura Lippman explores the perspectives of the people involved, why it happened and why it remains a secret. Guilt, penance and regret are all themes from this novel that would make it great for book discussion groups.
Eileen B. (East Moriches, NY) (08/23/11)

Interesting Book
The book started out slowly and was hard to follow in the beginning. This is the first book from the author that I have read so I have nothing to compare to. The book was told by different narrators and there were times that I was unsure of who was talking at the time. The way the author incorporates the past with the present enhanced the plot and the mystery around the "secret" kept me reading on. The characters were interesting and the ending was unpredictable.
Debbie M. (grand junction, CO) (08/22/11)

The Most Dangerous Thing
The Most Dangerous Thing centers on a group of kids entertaining themselves in the neighborhood. One day, while playing in the woods, something happens that affects their lives forever. As adults they are brought together again and find that what they thought had happened was different from what actually happened. Now they must deal with the events and move on.
I think most of us can relate to the story. Most of our childhood play was innocent, but did shape our lives in ways we don't always see. In this book the characters might have never realized the impact if they hadn't come together as adults.
Shaun- Chicago (08/21/11)

The Most Dangerous Thing
I was hoping for a gripping and suspenseful Laura Lippmann book but unfortunately this wasn't it. It's a decent character-driven story but I was hoping for a plot twist or an ending you couldn't see coming. I was disappointed that I didn't find the plot engrossing or that I had no trouble putting it down. I usually like Lippman's books and was sorry that this wasn't one of my favorites.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Caught in the Revolution

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Lola
    by Melissa Scrivner Love

An astonishing debut crime thriller about an unforgettable woman.

Mercies in Disguise
    by Gina Kolata

A story of hope, a family's genetic destiny, and the science that rescued them.

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor

O My D B