Read what people think about Things We Didn't Say by Kristina Riggle, and write your own review.

by Kristina Riggle

Things We Didn't Say by Kristina Riggle

• Published in USA  Jun 2011

There are currently 22 reader reviews for Things We Didn't Say

Jane C. (Brighton, MI)

Things We Didn't Say
Great Book Group read. Kristina makes you think about how you hide things from family and friends. Especially things that are controversial and might cause problems. As the book develops, you begin to realize that if things had been said in a timely manner, maybe results in life would be different. Ms Riggle seems to have a finger on character development from many perspectives. Not sure how she is able to entwine the thoughts and moods of so many characters at one time to develop a fascinating novel. Since I live in Michigan, it was fun to see the the places that she used as a background for the story.
Marjorie W. (Bonita Springs, FL)

Things We Didn't Say
I couldn't put it down! Kristina Riggle did an excellent job of drawing the reader into the middle of this family. The title certainly describes what happens in the story. I became very involved with the characters - flawed as they seemed to be. I would recommend this book to anyone who just enjoys a good, engrossing story!
Beth C. (Sioux Falls, SD)

"Things We Didn't Say"
Kristina Riggle's current book is a nice piece of women's fiction. It deals with a dysfunctional family and their efforts to cope. The way she handled addiction recovery and lapse seemed quite realistic.The characters are well-drawn, so it is easy to care about them. Each of them is suffering in ways that seem age appropriate. There are enough topics within the book to make it a good choice for a book group discussion.
Melissa K. (Oviedo, Florida)

Things We Didn't Say
A very compelling read. I couldn't put it down. The characters are well developed, and the storyline is realistic. The topic of family was presented in a contemporary fashion. I especially loved that the ending provided conflict resolution without being too syrupy. I am anxious to read another book written by Kristina Riggle.
Power Reviewer Sue J. (Wauwatosa, WI)

Interesting read
I became absorbed in the story and the characters after the first few chapters. The author did an excellent job of creating each character's point of view and leading the reader through the maze of conflicts and resolutions.It was an enjoyable read and I highly recommend it.
Kaye D. (Huntley, IL)

Watching the life of a modern family from the inside
I loved, loved this book. I could relate to all of characters and it was interesting how the chapters were broken down as to what character I was reading about. I felt like I was that person and I was inside their mind and thoughts. Without going into any great detail there were some characters that you won't like (there was one that I absolutely couldn't stand), others who you'll feel sorry for and others that you'll feel compassion for. It is a study of a typical American Family, divorced mother and father, new girlfriend, teenagers, children, parents, the whole gammit. I got this book in the mail on Saturday and it's Tuesday night and I already finished it. With my schedule that's quite an accomplishment and only happens when a book really grabs me, which this book did. I think this book would be very interesting in a book club because everyone there would probably look at it differently based on their own personal life and experiences.
Barbie R. (Jamestown, PA)

Misunderstood
I loved this book. A look at a real family from everyone's point of view. For anyone who has felt misunderstood, through our own fault or not, there is a character to love. A family with honest mistakes made all day in a day of crisis. I cried but tears of understanding, I felt understood. I won't mention which character, but I'm sure you will identify with someone.
Amy B. (Louisville, KY)

Things We Didn't Say
This book opens well and is engaging. The writing, character & plot development all are pretty basic, not demanding much of the reader except to come along for the ride (a feature which is admittedly very nice sometimes!). That being said, this book is not a "beach read" either, as it deals with very real, tough, & contemporary family topics.

The author uses the multiple viewpoints of the books' main characters to share the story, framing the family challenges using their various perspectives from chapter to chapter. There is no "winner" in a story like this (whose characters were left general enough that many readers can find themselves relating to someone in the story). Through this very human narrative, the author provides readers with a healthy reminder to shine the light back on ourselves once in awhile & see how we may impact the lives of our loved ones through our action and/or inaction, even through the seemingly simple situations.

Although not necessarily its intended audience, I think the book will appeal mostly to young adults, with whom it seemed the author had the closest connection. If it were not for some tougher adult topics, I think that the younger readers of this group (age 12 - 16) would really connect with the book, finding comfort & understanding in how the author relates & presents the many different positions of the characters.

Personally, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I wanted to, feeling that both the characters and the story were close, but just not quite "there"... I kept wanting more out of both which just didn't develop for me... I think the book is missing a richness which the author is definitely capable of - I do look forward to further writing by this author.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: The Rules of Magic

by Francesca Hornak

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F