Read what people think about Friendship Bread by Darien Gee, and write your own review.

by Darien Gee

Friendship Bread by Darien Gee X
Friendship Bread by Darien Gee

• Published in USA  Apr 2011

There are currently 23 reader reviews for Friendship Bread

Elaine B. (franklin, MA)

A Lesson in Friendship
"Friendship Bread" (the book and the cake) is nourishment for the soul. Sometimes as we grow older and busier and less patient we forget the healing power of friendship. This book shows us the many types and degrees of friendship that can make life worth living even in the worst of times. "Friendship Bread" subtly seduces you, I couldn't put it down! Darien Gee shows us the power of friendship and especially the power and healing in forgiveness.
Cheryl K. (Naples, FL)

Friendship Bread
Darien Gee's novel was one of the most uplifting books I have read. The characters from the small town of Avalon attach themselves to the reader in a comforting, honest way. I felt as if I were inside the minds and hearts of each one, experiencing pain, grief, love and ultimately friendship. I could "smell" the aroma from each loaf of "Friendship Bread" baked and cannot wait to start my own.

This book will appeal to young and old, and should be great for discussion at book clubs.
Lynn R. (Wautoma, WI)

Friendship Bread
I really enjoyed this book and every time I had to put it down I couldn't wait to pick it up again. The story covered the lives of several very different women and how they came together to become very good friends.

When there is a sudden loss of a child in a family, the grief can take on a life of its own. Everyone grieves differently and for different lengths of time. I felt this part of the story was quite real and told how sometimes you just don't know where to start rebuilding. Words were said and blame given (even if not deserved). That is very hard to take back even if you want to, it is hard to start a conversation and move beyond grief, you feel guilty moving on.

I also want to state that the bread is very good, especially the chocolate brownies.
Diane D. (Blairstown, NJ)

Loved it!
I JUST finished this book and couldn't wait to let everyone know that I consider it one of the best books, about women & their relationships, I've ever read! Book clubs would get a lot of discussion with this one, and that's something we always look forward to having.

I would recommend Friendship Bread to women of all ages...and men who would like to understand them. ;o) My only disappointment was that it ended.
Power Reviewer Dawn C. (Meridian, ID)

Friendship Bread
I'll take a fresh slice! Anyone who has ever been the recipient of friendship bread starter will appreciate this book. We meet many people in the town of Avalon, and each has a story to tell, some are sad, some are heartfelt, and some are funny, but all need to be told. Darien weaves the stories flawlessly and adds a touch of whimsy with the friendship bread!
Lisa Richardson

A Warm & Luscious Read
It's a book to cherish. More than just a story, it will make you take stock of what's important in life, and see how we can all make a difference by the small things we do in our lives. I laughed and cried, and then I got a bag of starter out of my freezer.

I found myself caring about each of the characters in the book, and they came across as real, like my neighbors and friends. I can't believe anyone would regret reading this book, and it will add to your appreciation of your life, good and bad. It also makes you want to get up and start baking!
Jeanne M. (Vancouver, WA)

Friendship Bread Rises to the Occasion
Delightful glimpse into the families in a small town, and how the introduction of Friendship Bread impacts their lives Whether it is the person making the bread or receiving the bread, their lives are altered and the small town ultimately makes their town rather famous!

This book is a wonderful intertwining of lives, that charmed me into finding out how each family is impacted by their taste of Friendship Bread. I loved reading this book--a light sweet "cake" of a book that I will share with friends and neighbors.
Karen D. (Dedham, MA)

Great Read
This is a memorable book. Women and their friendships can be so heart warming. I loved reading this book. I like having the recipe and hope to make a starter soon. I liked the closeness of the small town and how life changes meeting just one person.

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund