Read what people think about The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman, and write your own review.

by Laura Lippman

The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman

• Published in USA  Jan 2011
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 33 reader reviews for The Girl in the Green Raincoat

Patti F

Girl in the Green Raincoat
Having never read a Tess Monaghan novel before (where have I been??) I will be back for more! I felt like I was out there on that porch with Tess, in this twist of Rear Window. The story pulled you right in but it is the cadence of the language that keeps you engaged. Each chapter appears to be a mini layer all its own, stories within the main story that added to the plot. Just wonderful.
Janice H. (Savage, Minnesota)

A Couple of Firsts for Me
This is my first written book review for BookBrowse and my first Laura Lippman mystery. I was intrigued from the opening reference on a modern twist to the movie ‘Rear Window’ and an unexpected forced bed rest for a high risk pregnancy. Why not spend the time solving a mystery with a little help from friends?
I enjoyed the book tremendously and once I started the book, I couldn’t put it down. I found myself pursuing the evidence as earnestly as detective Tess and fearing the demise of the lovely Girl in the Green Raincoat. The book’s character’s were delightful from Mrs. Bloom, a co-worker stepping in to do the research and leg work for Tess, her best friend Whitney, who is single, rich and able to help with the brainstorming and Crow, her boyfriend who is trusting, caring and willing to organize all the bring home meals and care for Tess and the expected baby during her confinement. The suspects were uncovered as Tess received the information and very humorous when individuals were not always what they seemed at first impression.
I was totally surprised at the outcome of her research and encounter with the suspect and didn’t see it coming as the climax unfolded. The interweaving of Tess’s family stories into each chapter was a welcome perspective into Tess’s past. I loved the story of how her father and mother met and enjoyed hearing about the many interest of her father, the fixer and ‘Wonder Dad’. By telling these stories from her past, I came to know the character well without having read any of her previous novels.
I definitely enjoyed this novel and ran out to pick a couple of her previous novels so I could spend more time with Tess Monaghan and her friends. I definitely would recommend this book and look forward to the sequel.
Hilary H. (Tucson, AZ)

Girl in the Green Raincoat
I've enjoyed many Tess Monaghan books and this lived up to Laura Lippman's usual success. My only complaint was that it was so short. The premise of having Tess confined to bed and linked only via window (rear or not) and electronic devices was cleverly done. Now I need to go read the one right before this because I think I've missed one!
Ray P. (Selden, NY)

Another fine entry in the Tess Monaghan series.
In my opinion, Laura Lippman is the best American Female Crime Writer working today. As a former investigative journalist and resident of Baltimore, MD, she knows her territory and what is going on behind the scenes. Unlike contemporaries like Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs, she does not have to fill in the gaps in plot with sideline discussions of DNA or Forensic research.

THE GIRL IN THE GREEN RAINCOAT was originally released as a serial in the NY TIMES. It is Lippman's version of HItchcock's "Rear Window" as her recurring character, former journalist/current P.I., Tess Monaghan, is very pregnant and ordered to bed rest. Using binoculars from her medically-imposed exile room she spies a local dog park and notices that a woman in a green raincoat that she has seen walking a small Greyhound one day disappears, leaving the dog to fend for himself.

Tess takes in the dog and finds his address from his dogtags. Turns out the dog - Dempsey - is the property of the Epstein family. More ironic is that Don Epstein, the husband of the girl in the green raincoat, is on wife number three (the first two both died under mysterious circumstances). Using her friend Whitney to do some legwork, Mr. Epstein's background shows a pattern of potential homicidal behavior. Will Tess be able to crack this case from her bed? This short novel is intriguing and continues the terrific Tess Monaghan series---intelligent novels that always keep the reader guessing.
Janet H. (Lakeland, FL)

My first Tess Monaghan book
I had never read any Laura Lippman books before and now I wonder why. I loved this book! I was intrigued when I read the description and it did not disappoint. Very well written. As soon as I hit "Submit" I am going to order another Monaghan book!
Vicki O. (Boston, MA)

Hooked on Tess
This is my first Tess Monaghan book and I am hooked. Tess reminds me a little of my favorite childhood female detective, Nancy Drew. I devoured that series and may do the same with Tess. .”The Girl in the Green Raincoat” is a well-written mystery with crisp dialogue and realistic characters. There is a case for Tess to solve, but, to me, the solution is not as important as what Tess learns about herself, her past and her values.
Sherrill B. (Columbia City, In.)

The Girl in the Green Raincoat
I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read and not a lot of pages. I would recommend it to everyone who enjoyed Rear Window, the book and the movie, as it is written in the same style; full of mystery, intrigue and imagination. The Main character Tess has some scary moments in her personal life as a result of her investigating but everything turns out ok for her.
Power Reviewer Daniel A. (Naugatuck, CT)

The Girl in the Green Raincoat
This was the first Laura Lippman story I ever read, but it won't be the last; it captured my attention from the very first page and I was hooked until the very last page. It was a definite page-turner that I couldn't put down. The author is quite talented and it is evident through all the awards she has won. I highly recommend this novella.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Good Me Bad Me

by Alison McGhee

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F