Read what people think about The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, and write your own review.

The Hunger Games

by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

There are currently 22 reader reviews for The Hunger Games

John Lee

A Must Read!
This novel starts off with the life of Katniss Everdeen, and gives background about her life in District Twelve. She has a best friend named Gale, and they grew up together providing for their families. It's a rough life in the districts, due to the Capital's demands of the people. Ever since the last rebellion, they have a yearly event called the Hunger Games. This involves 2 tributes from each district to fight to the death in a gladiator styled combat, but have to face many elements such as weather, terrain, and animals.
   In my opinion, I really enjoyed this book. I usually don’t read many books in my life, but the plot in this book is well written. It makes you want to keep reading chapter after chapter, and it’s almost like a movie is playing in your head. The emotional ride the book gives is heart breaking, and will make you give empathy for the characters.
   Some strengths this book has is that there’s 2 more of them after you finish this one. It is also incredibly vivid in imagery, and the plot is easy to follow. The vocabulary isn’t very complicated so any reader will have a great time enjoying this book. Some weaknesses might be that the author might have rushed some parts of the chapters. Also some readers don’t seem to like the ending that well, but I enjoyed it.
Power Reviewer Suzanne G.

The best
What can I say? This book is as all others have said. Simply great!
Siera

Reading 110
I feel that the most powerful element in the book The Hunger Games is the compassion and devotion that the main character, Katniss, has for her friends and loved ones. At first you see this just within her family. After the death of her father she takes on full responsibility of her mother and younger sister, always making sure that they are fed and cared for even before herself. When her sister Prim is called as a tribute for the Hunger Games, Katniss steps in to take her place therefore putting her own life at risk. During the Hunger Games one particular bond she forms really shows her compassion and love for her fellow man.

(Edited for plot spoilers)

I thought that the author of The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins, did an amazing job writing this book. I would absolutely love to read more books written by her. She wrote the book is such a way that you are always hooked and just can’t bring yourself to put the book down. While some books, even good ones, have parts that get dull or boring, you never encounter that in The Hunger Games. While it’s true that you may never be in the scenarios that the characters face, the author still makes the characters relatable. Whether you relate to wanting to protect a younger sibling or you relate more to feeling powerless against the government, somewhere along the lines you will encounter someone or something that you can relate to.

I enjoy that although The Hunger Games is strictly fiction, the author makes the setting seem almost tangible by stating that “the city of Panem was once a place called North America.” I rather have a real life place to reference rather than a completely fabricated place. A lot of the book focuses on the government of Panem and the control they have of all the citizens and, although not nearly as extreme, you can compare it to how many American citizens feel about our own government. This is just one real life issue that the author takes and puts into her book. It’s a heartfelt, sad, but powerful story of a true survivor. Suzanne Collins is truly an excellent author and I fully intend to read more books by her including the next two books of The Hunger Games Trilogy. Not only do I recommend this author to others but even more so this particular book. It touches on family dynamics, on love, on hardships, violence, humanity, rebellion, and anything else you could ask for all in one book.
Peyton

The Hunger Games
Amazing, simply amazing.
Power Reviewer Suzanne

and--I'm not a young adult (age range)
I bought this for my granddaughters (10 and 16) and figured I "need to read a few pages in case it might not be suitable." Ho, ho I couldn't put it down and finished it about 6 hours. This is one excellent book. The hype is valid. This story will be a favorite of mine. 'Course, now I have two more books to buy as soon as possible, not only for me, but for granddaughters as well!
Becky Dodd

All Consuming!
Where do I begin???!!!
I rarely read books that are surrounded by this much "hype." I had no intention of reading it, I did not like the sound of the premise: teenage warriors fighting each other to the death for food? NOT my cup of tea. So I ordered a 'sample' on my kindle and was TOTALLY hooked after the first page. KRAZY! This was absolutely like nothing I've ever read. It was completely all consuming! I COULD NOT stop reading it, and you better have all three if you want to get ANY sleep at all. I will say that this book and the next one are better than the last book, however, I loved the ending!
I can say, now that I've met Katniss Everdeen I will NEVER be the same! This series has changed me forever. BRAVO!
Chelsie

Awesome!!!!
Can I just say amazing!!! I really don’t like reading books because it is hard and I’m a really slow reader. However, when I read The Hunger Games I could not put it down. I have had friends try to convince me to read The Hunger Games, but I have never had time. When I finally went out and bought The Hunger Games, I started reading it as soon as I got home. Between spare time at home and time between classes I had completed it within 3 days. That is the fastest I have ever read a book in my life! The suspense through the book just kept me reading. Every time I ended a chapter I wanted to start the next one.
The story line is like nothing I have ever read before. I found the idea very original. Writing a story about a society of people who are forced to basically sacrifice their children once a year because they tried to take over the government years before is brilliant! Now if you don’t like violence I wouldn’t read this book because it gets pretty intense at times, but it’s not so bad that I personally would worry too much.
The main character Katniss Everdeen is such a good example of a woman you can look up to. She is put into the most extraordinary circumstances and she does not let it get to her. She takes what she is given and goes with it. The book starts off with a normal day and you think this will be just another normal book, but that soon changes. Within the first chapter you find out that you came in on the worst day of the year for this poor young girl and everyone else in the community. This is the day that everyone in this nation has to put their children into the national lottery that decides if they are going to the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games are a tournament in which a boy and a girl from each of this nation's 13 districts are put in a arena and are told to fight to the death. The only way you leave is if you are dead or the last one standing.
The Hunger Games is a book about overcoming trials, standing up for what you believe in and that good will always overcome evil. The only thing I don’t like about The Hunger Games is the ending. It left me wanting more and I don’t have time to go read the 2nd book. I would highly suggest this book and that you read it now instead of after the movie comes out in March! Take my advice and read this wonderful book.
Karen

Couldn't put the book down!
I read all three from the Hunger Game Trilogy. It was a fast read and I learned to love the characters. Don't want to spoil it, but I loved "the boy with the bread." She writes in a way that pulls you in the story and allows you to feel as if you are there, in the story.

• Book Jacket: Before We Sleep
    by Kate Moore

Win News of the World

The Gypsy Moth Summer
    by Julia Fierro

One of the most anticipated books of 2017.

T's S I Numbers