Read what people think about The Clouds Beneath the Sun by Mackenzie Ford, and write your own review.

The Clouds Beneath the Sun

by Mackenzie Ford

The Clouds Beneath the Sun by Mackenzie Ford

• Published in USA  Jul 2010

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Clouds Beneath the Sun

Barbara S. (Brick, NJ)

Tell Me More
This is my first book trip to Kenya and it leaves me with a longing for more tales of the Maasai and their culture. Ordinarily I would not search for a book about archaeology but found this book utterly fascinating. The author transports you to the dig location, Kihara gorge, and paints a perfect picture even though I have never seen one. The story tied in beautifully with the setting. If you have a "passion" in life, this book is for you. I am adding this to my Book Club selections for 2011.
Shirley D. (Amherst, MA)

The Clouds Beneath The Sun
A good read! The writing is excellent. The characters were of immediate interest and the setting so skillfully done, I wasn’t aware how much I was learning about Kenya. As for the plot, I found it a “page turner.” I felt it a privilege to read and review this novel.
Susan B. (Coventry, RI)

The Clouds Beneath the Sun
I began reading this book while I was in the middle of another novel that I was enjoying; I thought I would read them concurrently. Surprise! Once I began "The Clouds Beneath the Sun" I couldn't put it down! The setting of an archeological dig in East Africa was unfamiliar to me but it was well-described. While controversy about the dig is getting more involved, the book begins to deal with the lives of the main characters and it becomes a love story. This is definitely a book you won't be able to put down!
Sandra G. (Middleton, WI)

Hard to put down!
The back cover says this is "an irresistible page-turner of forbidden love on the wild plains of East Africa." This novel is FAR more than a love story! (The love story doesn't begin until page 330!) I was drawn in after reading three pages. The descriptions of the Maasai, the wildlife, and the Kihara Gorge area all contributed to a strong sense of place. The multi-layered plot kept my interest throughout. I agree that is is "an irresistible page turner."
Power Reviewer Anna R. (Oak Ridge, TN)

Amazing Story
This book has it all; mystery, history, jealously,murder and a love story. I learned about Kenya working toward independence and about archaeology. The character development is fantastic and the story grabs you from page one.
The ending isn't what I expected. Wow. This is a great read!
Power Reviewer Sue J. (Wauwatosa, WI)

An absorbing read.
I enjoyed this book immensely. Ford is a creative writer who has a talent for drawing good characters and giving a sense of what a dig in Kenya would really be like. This book was a page-turner for me and I had to hold myself back from peaking ahead to find out how everything comes out. Highly recommended!
Karen D. (Dedham, MA)

Stunning
Having been to the Serengeti on safari, I was anxious to read this book. It brought back wonderful memories of camp life. I can still see the Masai men in their bright red robes standing with their spears. The book was descriptive of the plains without being too detailed. The characters, you felt like you knew them, anxious for them and so sad when their lives changed so dramatically. I loved the book so much, what can I possibly read next?
Christine S. (Highland, UT)

Well Done!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It took me to a place with vivid imagery. It was educational and I feel like I know more about the 1960s in the political Kenyan setting, more about the beautiful landscape and wild animals of Africa, more about an excavating working archaeological team, more about tribal laws vs. written laws.

The story itself was secondary to all the other characteristics mentioned above. Waiting for the trial throughout over half of the book, turned out disappointing. The last chapters of the book were exciting, but it could have been written at a better pace. It felt as through the last chapters were packed into the book for tidying up all the loose ends.

All of this being said, I actually thought the story "might" have been based on an account of an actual dig. I haven't been able to find anywhere to prove my theory.

Well done!