Read what people think about The Fisher Boy by Stephen H. Anable, and write your own review.

by Stephen H. Anable

• Published in USA  May 2008
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 16 reader reviews for The Fisher Boy

Barbara (04/03/08)

If you liked
I was glad to find the author did not fall in to the traps of stereotype that were so evident in the first half of the book. No one group of people was made out to be purely evil or righteous. I did find it interesting that the main character was self-reflective in reviewing his own attitudes and motives. The gay theme may scare some readers off, and if you hated "Running with Scissors, " be assured that this is not that. I found some of the characters a little over the top, but for the most parts they were well developed, sincere and consistent. I don't know that I would recommend the book to my Book Club, unless it is for that summer slot of July and August, when everyone just wants a "beach read," but it should make a decent Lifetime movie.
Christy (03/31/08)

The Fisher Boy
I hoped this book would get better as I read it, but it did not. There was too much jumping around and not enough character and/or plot development. Found myself going back to past chapters over and over to see if there was something I had missed... Also, it was too hard to believe some of the scenarios...in particular the commune that no one seems to know about but was right under everyone's noses. It was a stretch. Seems too small of a community for something like that to go unnoticed. I hope to see something else by this author, though, if he will take more time with the unfolding of the story....I liked his description of the locale...could picture it clearly as if I were there.
Power Reviewer Sue (03/21/08)

Good debut!
For some reason, when I read the synopsis, I envisioned sort of a "cozy" mystery. It was definitely not that. The book is populated with many intriguing characters, but the town itself is one of the main players. It was a bit draggy at first - like floating lazily downstream in a slow-moving river, then suddenly, the current picks up, and you are swept along with it. This was an interesting read and turned into a very good mystery.
Marta (03/17/08)

Pleasant Read
The book was a pleasure to read. The transition from chapter to chapter flowed smoothly due to the interest level. The plot was wrapped up nicely at the end.
Laurie (03/14/08)

A summer read for the Cape Cod crowd
This book delivers on portraying the myriad personalities, sites and events that make up Provincetown at the start of the season. The quirky characters of the regular summer crowd, the small towniness of the locals, and the summer siege of people who come to work, to be seen, and to watch: Provincetown’s summer blend of creative invention and downright shallowness.

I didn’t find this book to be a real mystery. But it did remind me of a good Irish folktale – many a bizarre twist and turn, each of which is more the point of the story than the conclusion.

P’town regulars will enjoy the comedy club scenes, the season opener party, the town meeting, and the goings-on of Arthur’s “treasure”. But it left me longing for a P’town novel that draws direct from the heart and soul of that wild town by the bay, which is exotic enough in its own right!
John (03/14/08)

The Fisher Boy
Interesting story although a bit far-fetched. Well written, it did retain my interest. The main characters in the book are gay although there are no graphic scenes. Interesting descriptions of the Cape Cod area.
Robert (03/11/08)

Disappointing read
I was disappointed by this novel. The setting and some of the major characters had a lot of promise, and I was hoping for a fast-paced comic mystery. But the plot never got off the ground. For one thing, the author’s style was embellished with too many descriptive details about events and props that didn’t seem to matter very much. And then minor characters would appear without making any clear impact. I would say the book lacked focus. There were some witty exchanges and clever observations, but I wouldn’t recommend it.
Wendy (03/07/08)

The Fisher Boy
Author Stephen Anable has crafted a unique and intriguing mystery with a myriad of characters, each with their own foibles and quirks. The novel takes awhile to get off the ground as the author sets the stage for the events to come. Mark Winslow is the naïve and curious protagonist, who at times I found a little exasperating but still likable. Anable packs quite a few different plot threads throughout the novel that will keep the reader guessing right up until all is revealed at the end. Suspenseful with a teaspoon of romance, The Fisher Boy is an entertaining novel.

• Book Jacket: Harmony

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review